Too cold?

hdtrc

I'm heading to the Jersey Shore this weekend and am wondering if I should bring my Laser. I've yet to sail it since I just got it so the desire is there but the air temps are going to 70-72 and the water temps are around 60-65.

Is this too cold to be out there w/o a wetsuit? Can't afford one of those yet. All I have is swim trunks, shirt, and life vest.

In that weather I would normally wear a shorty wetsuit, but I think you'll be fine without one. The water will be a bit chilly, but you'll be ok.

If it's only your first time in a Laser though, I would have people around. If something happens and you're drifting in the water in swim suit at 60*, you could get hypothermia somewhat quickly. As long as there is someone around to pull you out of the water I'd say you're fine (shouldn't be a problem considering it's Memorial Day and every body of water will be packed to the brim).

Depends if you are getting wet (from spray/waves) or not. If you are, you are going to be cold IMHO. Add a spray top and you'd be good to go.

You don't need to drop a fortune on gear - you can find a full wetsuit for under $80, a shorty for under $50 and spray tops under $50...

Depends on the wind conditions as well, if its light air it might feel great and if its heavy air it might feel freezing cold

dress for the conditions you won't be cold

Navy Seals have to swim pretty far during training in really cold water, the longer you spend in the water the colder you'll get, you could get hypothermia if you are in the water for a while and can't get to shore.

I will be laser sailing this weekend in LIS (water temp is pretty close) without a wetsuit

you don't need to spend a lot on a spray top either -- just use a rain jacket -- you might have one of those ...

I wear a rain jacket from bicycling and sometimes over an old fleece top that I have too.

I have seen videos from the 60s of guys wearing wool sweaters.

sometimes you can find some even at goodwill, I have. Anyhow I would be a little hesitant to head out there without at least hiking shorts, I would personally hit it with a overall wetsuit with a spray top if the surf is going to be up.

Back