Too big for a laser

I have started this season by sailing in a Regatta boat as the wind was very strong and gutsy. I went out with my instructor. I really ejoyed it. I do have a laser and the difference is like chalk and cheese. I am wondering that maybe I am too big for a laser. I find that I squashed most of the time and the boom is always in my face. I am 1.80 metres tall and weigh 100 kgs. Your comments would be greatly appreciated. Also your opinions on th Regatta boat

Re: Too big for a lser

You are going to struggle in a laser in light winds but you'll do really well when it blows. The laser does carry weight well, it just depends how competitive you want to be. (I did the radial europeans in 2004 weighing 95kg, thankfully back down under 70kg now, and was never anywhere near last but was never going to win)

You might want to consider the rooster 8.1. It is a standard laser hull and control lines with a bigger sail and mast. Its designed for people about your weight. There is a photo of it in my radial sailing album in my profile if you want to have a look at the rig.

Otherwise if the boom really is too low for you then you'd need to consider options like the megabyte, phantom etc. Can't comment on the regatta boat as never seen one.

Hope that helps.

Re: Too big for a lser

I'm 1.9m and well into the "100 kilo club". About the only time I feel I'm physically too large for my Laser is when I try and duck under the boom with lots of vang/kicker on (heavy wind).

Competitiveness is another issue. In general you'll be slower than folks down in the 80-85 kg range, so you probably won't win any big regattas (unless it's blowing for most races), and you won't get the boat onto a plane quite as easily, but you can still do decently, and have a ton of fun with a Laser.

I'm about your size and sail the full rig laser. Tacking takes some practice and in the beginning I used to have to let the vang off, before the tacks, but now have it down pretty well. Life jacket choice makes a difference and you want one that fits lower down like a kayak vest rather than one that is full near the shoulders.
I live in a fairly windy area so most of the time the extra weight isn't critical, especially on windward leeward courses when there are lots of waves to surf. Its tougher when there are reaches when the lighter guys can plane and us heavy guys can't.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice and ecouragement.
I will perervere till December with the laser and then do a raincheck.
Superchick, how did you lose so much weight?

Definitely consider the 8.1 rig though. It gives the extra oompf required for heavyweights. Then when it honks you can put the standard sail on and have a blast! It also gives you the flexibility to either class race with the standard sail up or do some handicap racing and be competitive whereas the standard Laser just does not perform (unless it is honking).

Gym and diet are also good, i am 6ft 1like you and I am a trim 85 kgs at the minute.

Are you doing the 8.1 nationals at Weston in Oct Jeffers? Hopefully be a good event again and I'm planning on borrowing a rig again. If its windy I'll be the one swimming lots :)

I am down south for that weekend but alas it is my anniversary weekend and the other half just refuses to let me sail (not that i would dare ask you understand).

I was all set for the first attempt at Northampton the the venue switched at the last minute (and there was no wind). The other extreme happened for the 8.1 meeting that was scheduled at Hunts the wind blew a steady F6+ all day so no one turned up (except me and I was injured so couldn't sail anyway).

Back