Tomorrow I Launch For the First Time - Seeking Last Minute Advice

Guybrush3pwood

Today was a bit too gusty, but tomorrow it looking to be pretty good. Had a change of venue as well but Buoy Weather report:
1624150957612.png

I'll probably hit the water at around 11 am. Any last minute advice? My only outstanding question at this point is - how does the autobailer work? Do I pull the plug when I go out or only unplug it as needed?

Anyway, any list bits of wisdom before go would be greatly appreciated. And a huge thanks to this group for all the advice offered thus far. NO way would I have been able to get this far without the help of everyone here who contributed. Thank you thank you thank you so much.

With the auto bailer, keep it plugged until you get some water in the cockpit. It only works when you are moving. Yesterday, I was out on Tomales Bay and accidentally opened it with my foot so be careful of that. Have a great time and post some photos!View attachment 46723

Very cool! Great photo! I will have some gopros running so hopefully I'll have some video footage to share.

With the auto bailer, keep it plugged until you get some water in the cockpit. It only works when you are moving. Yesterday, I was out on Tomales Bay and accidentally opened it with my foot so be careful of that. Have a great time and post some photos!
If It only works when you are moving, why is it called an "automatic" bailer? :confused:

Know the 'Rules of the Road' prior to launching, to avoid collisions or other mishaps.

Familiarize yourself with shoal areas in your sailing venue... if you don't know where they are, ask the locals.

Use your hiking strap when necessary to counter heeling and keep your boat relatively flat.

Keep an eye on the leading edge of your main while sailing close to the wind, to avoid pinching or luffing (which will slow your boat down).

Keep an eye on the trailing edge of your main while on a deep broad reach or running downwind, to avoid an accidental or uncontrolled "flying gybe." Flying gybes are hard on your boat & rig, plus they can easily lead to knockdown or capsize.

Don't forget a ballcap (or wide-brimmed hat with chinstrap or cord) to reduce overhead glare... sunglasses on a 'goon cord' also help, get yourself a decent cord so ya don't lose your shades. Gloves & nautical footgear are also helpful, but not absolutely necessary.

Apply sunscreen to exposed areas before launching, and take the plastic bottle with you unless you plan on remaining close to your launching point. I always stored sunscreen on ice in my cooler, it feels better going on that way.

Which brings me to my next point: those small soft coolers are great for sailing, you can bring beverages & snacks and the cooler itself won't get in the way as often as a hard cooler. Beverages don't have to be alcoholic, at the very least you should have water to remain hydrated. Waterproof your sandwiches, lol.

Use wind indicators ashore whenever they are helpful: flags, smoke, etc. Use temporary marks ashore to hold a course, if applicable.

Keep your tiller & rudder movements smooth & deliberate, no hard or sudden jerking around, you won't lose as much boat speed that way.

Again, MIND THAT SHOAL WATER, and raise your daggerboard a bit if there's any question... if you feel the boat starting to run aground, raise the dagger so you don't run hard aground and damage your boat.

Keep MARINE SAFETY your topmost priority whenever & wherever you are sailing.

Like Breeze Bender says, "HAVE FUN!!!" :rolleyes:

Edit: Hey, Norcalsail, nice shot of Tomales Bay! I miss my seals & sea lions... not too many here in the high desert, lol, but we DO have rattlers, scorpions, tarantulas, coyotes, mountain lions, etc. CHEERS!!!

Last edited:
Please let us know what happened. Videos are not necessary - a description will do. I am also wondering what happened to your rudder and tiller!!

Welp, that isn't working for some reason. Let me see if I can process it again.

This is going to take a while. Probably won't be up until tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Ain't modern technology GRAND??? Lol... no worries, we still LUV YA!!! Well, I do anyway, but I've had a bit to drink, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Damn, that's just WRONG. :confused:

I made a special batch of my custom homemade hot & spicy chicken burrito mix a little while ago, so when I get around to macking a bad boy burrito plate, that $h!t will BURN ME SOBER, LOL. Good thing I have a fire extinguisher handy... CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

If you were here in the high desert, I'd offer ya a burrito plate... each plate has about 15,000 calories, but they're mighty tasty, lol. Actually, all the fresh onion, hot peppers & vine-ripened tomatoes push these bad boy burritos into the realm of "health food!" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! And don't laugh too hard because I'm now living in the high desert: I've done more small craft sailing than most nautical Internet heroes, lol. Alright, I'm looking forward to the video manana, don't sweat the small stuff, you'll dial in your boat and your sailing technique... I guarantee it! Uh-oh, now I'm starting to sound like a scumbag politician or used car salesman, lol, better sign off now and head toward the home theater, fresh vino bottle in hand. Might even hafta take a snort o' blue agave tequila at some point this evening, just to get in that ol' Baja exploration mode, AYE??? Reminds me of that old Pat Travers tune, maybe I can find the video... this was like the THEME SONG for me and my friends from the surf shop in the '80s & '90s, only we used blue agave tequila instead of whiskey on most occasions, lol. CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

Snortin' Whiskey

Excellent!

You've just experienced what we all have--being introduced to the "art" of sailing.

I confess to having a grin on my face throughout the video. (Which played well, belying all the apologies). :)

The music, which was close to a requiem at the beginning, stumbled happier as the wind (and skills) picked up. Good "show"! ;)

It seems winds that accompany "occasional whitecaps" is most enjoyable, but starting with calm winds wasn't a bad thing. When I can't tell where the wind is coming from, I sail a circle until something happens. :cool:

You might also find what we're calling the "Geezer-rig" will make your next sail even better.

we've all been there - good on you for being willing to share your experience.

at your launching, it would probably have helped to have the daggerboard in, at least partially - your boat was sliding sideways.

and on a light wind day light that, it can be really easy to get stuck "in irons" and confusing as all get out on how to catch the wind and get out of that condition. been there, done that!

Definitely, been there. That launch looks tricky. Maybe keep sail rigged but down and dagger partially in (but not scraping bottom) while you paddle out past the rocks, then raise the sail when you’re clear.

Once you got a breeze, though, you were bending it! You seemed to get the feel for it quickly.
Be decisive and have a little momentum when ‘coming about’ (pushing tiller fully TOWARD the sail to change direction)
Be careful when turning the tiller AWAY from the sail, as gybing unknowingly will land you in the lake in a hurry.
I enjoyed the video. Loved the imperfection of the Titanic music at the end! Thanks for sharing your experience. Keep sailing, it gets better! ⛵

You will learn much faster getting feedback from videos like this.

A bit more wind early on would have helped, but a telltale will help you see which way the wind is coming. A piece of coat hanger with some yarn on it, taped to the top of your upper boom will do the trick. When the boom kept changing sides
on you I think you were heading straight into the wind.

And as pointed out, the boat doesn’t turn without the board in. The boat more or less pivots on the board, so you were just drifting sideways into the rocks.

Parts of this may provide some pointers . https://www.sunfishclass.org/documents/learn_2_sail_in_3_days.pdf

Sailing in light airs is a valuable skill which you will want to cultivate, but to be honest with you, I think you should learn to sail on days with at least 7-10 knots of breeze, minimum... that will keep your boat moving nicely in the water and allow you to focus upon learning maneuvers. You'll have enough 'training' to sail in light airs when the wind dies on ya, as it inevitably will during some future voyage. NOAA Weather usually puts out a pretty good marine forecast, all you have to do is punch in your zip code or town name & state. You did pretty well toward the end, especially on your first day out, so "no more apologies!" [Lol, a line from some Smiths tune, can't remember the song title.] Nice touch with the Titanic tune, at least you didn't strike an iceberg! It was good of your pop to offer moral support by being there, even if he wasn't very helpful to ya, lol. One last bit of advice: if you see THIS dude in the water, be sure to give him right of way pronto, even if you're close-hauled on the starboard tack, lol. :eek:

Godzilla

Yield right of way under the obscure 'Law of Gross Tonnage!' You'll be doing yourself (and your boat) a big ol' solid favor, lol. ;)

P.S. I always wondered how it would feel to wear that cheesy costume... slam-dancing downtown on some ridiculous set, lol. It'd make a cool costume for a Halloween party, rig up a flamethrower to roast any fooliots who gave me grief, lol. :rolleyes:

I very much enjoyed this video of your first time out. As has been stated,"Been there, done that." Your boat's hull reminds me of my Oldfish in Wisconsin and the sail is like my new boat out here in California. You will get better quickly and I hope you post some more videos of your progress!

Thanks a bunch! It's nice to hear I'm not alone in the struggle. Gives me confidence to keep going! I will definitely be making future videos to share my journey.

Excellent!

You've just experienced what we all have--being introduced to the "art" of sailing.

I confess to having a grin on my face throughout the video. (Which played well, belying all the apologies). :)

The music, which was close to a requiem at the beginning, stumbled happier as the wind (and skills) picked up. Good "show"! ;)

It seems winds that accompany "occasional whitecaps" is most enjoyable, but starting with calm winds wasn't a bad thing. When I can't tell where the wind is coming from, I sail a circle until something happens. :cool:

You might also find what we're calling the "Geezer-rig" will make your next sail even better.

Yeah, I knew going into it that a wee bit more wind would have been ideal, but I was just so excited to get on the water that I just went for it, for better or worse. I'll check out that Geezer-rig. I thought I mostly set mine up that way but I'm determined to improve the situation however I can. I'll check that out!

we've all been there - good on you for being willing to share your experience.

at your launching, it would probably have helped to have the daggerboard in, at least partially - your boat was sliding sideways.

and on a light wind day light that, it can be really easy to get stuck "in irons" and confusing as all get out on how to catch the wind and get out of that condition. been there, done that!

Good call on that daggerboard. I will definitely do that in the future.

Definitely, been there. That launch looks tricky. Maybe keep sail rigged but down and dagger partially in (but not scraping bottom) while you paddle out past the rocks, then raise the sail when you’re clear.

Once you got a breeze, though, you were bending it! You seemed to get the feel for it quickly.
Be decisive and have a little momentum when ‘coming about’ (pushing tiller fully TOWARD the sail to change direction)
Be careful when turning the tiller AWAY from the sail, as gybing unknowingly will land you in the lake in a hurry.
I enjoyed the video. Loved the imperfection of the Titanic music at the end! Thanks for sharing your experience. Keep sailing, it gets better! ⛵

That's not a bad idea. I considered it but I heard it was kinda difficult to raise the sails while on the water so I opted to do it on shore. But yeah, in this situation. it probably would have been the better choice!

I was very worried about the accidental gybe. Never thought about it was turning my rudder toward and away from the sail, but that really does simplify it, so I think I'll keep that in mind for future trips!

You will learn much faster getting feedback from videos like this.

A bit more wind early on would have helped, but a telltale will help you see which way the wind is coming. A piece of coat hanger with some yarn on it, taped to the top of your upper boom will do the trick. When the boom kept changing sides
on you I think you were heading straight into the wind.

And as pointed out, the boat doesn’t turn without the board in. The boat more or less pivots on the board, so you were just drifting sideways into the rocks.

Parts of this may provide some pointers . https://www.sunfishclass.org/documents/learn_2_sail_in_3_days.pdf

Definitely plan on more videos. Helps me learn where I went wrong and where I went right. My sail actually came with telltails on it, but sadly they were moving at all during the start of my sailing. Luckily I noticed some flags at the park later on and that made things so much easier.

Sailing in light airs is a valuable skill which you will want to cultivate, but to be honest with you, I think you should learn to sail on days with at least 7-10 knots of breeze, minimum... that will keep your boat moving nicely in the water and allow you to focus upon learning maneuvers. You'll have enough 'training' to sail in light airs when the wind dies on ya, as it inevitably will during some future voyage. NOAA Weather usually puts out a pretty good marine forecast, all you have to do is punch in your zip code or town name & state. You did pretty well toward the end, especially on your first day out, so "no more apologies!" [Lol, a line from some Smiths tune, can't remember the song title.] Nice touch with the Titanic tune, at least you didn't strike an iceberg! It was good of your pop to offer moral support by being there, even if he wasn't very helpful to ya, lol. One last bit of advice: if you see THIS dude in the water, be sure to give him right of way pronto, even if you're close-hauled on the starboard tack, lol. :eek:

Godzilla

Yield right of way under the obscure 'Law of Gross Tonnage!' You'll be doing yourself (and your boat) a big ol' solid favor, lol. ;)

P.S. I always wondered how it would feel to wear that cheesy costume... slam-dancing downtown on some ridiculous set, lol. It'd make a cool costume for a Halloween party, rig up a flamethrower to roast any fooliots who gave me grief, lol. :rolleyes:

Very true! Much like my motorcycle, the slower ya go, the more skill it takes.

You know the guy in that Godzilla costume was having a blast.

I'll check out NOAA. I use Bouy Weather and another wind app (forget the name) and they definitely helped. I wish I could figure out a way to attach my phone to my boat so I can have those apps up, telling me the wind direction at all time, but then again, maybe that's cheating? I should probably learn the old fashioned way.

Good stuff! The music sounds a bit like its from the Seven Samurai soundtrack.

100%! One of my most prized possessions is my laserdisc box set of Seven Samurai.

4AA8A055-3B11-45A9-A3F5-EE4D8BCD736D.jpeg

Tell-tales are (marginally) helpful but only if you have wind flowing across your sail.

It would probably be more helpful to make (or buy) a wind indicator that connects to the forward upper boom. They are very useful for catching small breezes and shifts in the wind, especially when you are in the water and struggling to find the wind.

This is an extremely cool DIY version:

I made mine from a coat hanger and some cassette tape.

Tell-tales are (marginally) helpful but only if you have wind flowing across your sail.

It would probably be more helpful to make (or buy) a wind indicator that connects to the forward upper boom. They are very useful for catching small breezes and shifts in the wind, especially when you are in the water and struggling to find the wind.

This is an extremely cool DIY version:

I made mine from a coat hanger and some cassette tape.

Hmmmm...that is interesting...I could definitely see that being pretty useful! I'll have to look into this as a possible upgrade.

Guybrush3pwood looks great. Tacking takes
lots of.practice. For day sailing your board is fine but you will find it side slips a lot. Those shadow boards have the smallest area of all sunfish boards. If you enjoy sailing one of the first upgrades is to a foil board.

Back