Tokyo 2020

ryanj24

I'll always have a fondness for Gary Jobson but he sounds completely lost during the NBC coverage of this race. (Radial Race #2)

As far as things that don't matter, I can't find the Laser symbol or ILCA logo on the sails. Just Olympic rings etc.

On quite another matter, Page Railey (USA) sailed the whole race (#2) even though she was over early (by a mere second or so). Normally, I believe one has to leave the course and one gets notice of this at the windward mark.
Comments?

Page Railey (USA) sailed the whole race (#2) even though she was over early (by a mere second or so). Normally, I believe one has to leave the course and one gets notice of this at the windward mark.
Comments?
Looks like the Sailing Instructions don't mention any procedure for informing the competitors. Rule 30.3 itself says only "shall be disqualified without a hearing", so it's totally possible to sail the whole course without knowing that you were U-flagged. Not a good policy of course.

_

As far as things that don't matter, I can't find the Laser symbol or ILCA logo on the sails. Just Olympic rings etc.

On quite another matter, Page Railey (USA) sailed the whole race (#2) even though she was over early (by a mere second or so). Normally, I believe one has to leave the course and one gets notice of this at the windward mark.
Comments?

There is a red label on the sails that says ILCA legal sail. On the men's sails at least.

Laser Bill: Good eye, good eye!

Can someone identify which compasses these super heros are using?

Can someone identify which compasses these super heros are using?
Just watched the men's medal race... Matt Wearn and (I think) Philipp Buhl had Raymarines, and everyone else that I got a look at had Velociteks.

The only other technical thing I watched was sheet cleats vs. no cleats: 5 - 5.

Women's turn next :)

_

1,2 and 5 to Scandinavia in the Radial :)

Someone in this fleet (Sarah Douglas I think) had a big old Silva, while all others appeared to have Raymarines.

_

Last edited:
Before today, I hadn't watched ANY of the Olympics this time around but I just watched some of the Laser racing and it was cool, thanks for posting that last link, Wavedancer! I don't care if the races are taped and not live, makes no difference here in the high desert, lol. :cool:

The Finn medal race is exciting as well. Really liked the end with all three medal winners sitting in one boat, enjoying the moment (and not capsizing).
The 470 races turned me off because of the upwind pumping.

Back