To shim or not to shim?

Do you shim the mast?

• Total voters

dkaukeinen

Hey
What is everyones preference when it comes to "shimming" the mast for a snug fit in the mast step? I have tried it both ways, tight shim with tape verses lately no shims whatsoever. I possible may be losing power upwind as the mast and rig fall off to leeward ever so slightly. Also, what is your method of shimming besides duct tape. I believe that Cordero never shims claiming that it allows the rig to fall forward downwind.

Thanks,
Doug

I didn't shim but was getting ready to cast off one day and it occurred to me I should try it. By happenstance I had a package of Sea Bond denture fixative wafers in the back of my Ford Country Squire, so I dug them out from under the box of Tang. Turns out the Sea Bond strips, being waterproof yet adhesive are the perfect mast shims. I use the mint flavor, so I always get the fresh scent of mint wafting around the boat when I am sailing. More info is here: http://seabond.com/products01.shtml

It's amazing what you can do with Sea Bond denture fixative. We had a carton left over when my grandmother died. It's great for hanging pictures, repairing cracked china and the mint scent reminds me of grandma!

I use binder covers to shim my masts. Not the thin plastic binders, but thick ones, like the kind that technical manuals come in; Ones in the neighborhood of 2mm or 1/16 -1/8 inch. I cut them exactly to size so there is no overlap and no gap. This way they stay in the boat. Whatever you do make sure there is still room for the mast to swivel.

Back