To paint or not to paint ?

baseman

On the Water
My Viking has one repair to the hull (which was well done by a previous owner). Should I leave it like that or put a coat of gelcoat on it. If I use the gelcoat I have, the color won't match unless I do the whole hull (which I don't think it needs). The hull is in pretty good shape other than some scatches, but not bad considering it's a '73.
I have time to think about this. It's 19 degrees here at the moment.
Hull 1.jpg

If I use the gelcoat I have, the color won't match unless I do the whole hull (which I don't think it needs)...It's 19 degrees here at the moment.
From what I've been reading, that's a warming trend! :confused:

What color is your existing gelcoat? If it's a high contrast—like Signal Red—you could put a wide band around the entire hull, like a "racing stripe" on a Ford Mustang —but in the other axis. 'Course, you could also do the same thing with paint.

Either way, you'd keep the Viking decal, and hide the repair. :)

Good point. I just need to get it a little off white. I can mix in the coloring agents before adding the hardner and see if I can get a good match.

As for the racing stripe. You're saying I should continue the color of the deck around the hull over the patched area? I could do that, but I'm not sure what to call the color of the deck.
viking2.jpg

Did I mention I only paid $50 for this boat?

I like the rustoleum idea, but if you want to gelcoat, just use what you've got. It's the hull, it's only going to be perfect until you take it out again. If you beach, it's going to get scratched, and it's likely going to get scratches from trailering or accidentally getting into a rocky shallow area.

Back