To Furl or Not to Furl

Yes

I am aware of the fleet and I am with you on not needing a furling rig at TT lake 90% of the time.
Yesterday all those fleet boats were not in use and the winds were 15mph avg with burst of 25mph.
So, in my situation (skill level and family) a furler allows me more flexibility. It makes single handling the boat nicer, it allows me to go and practice in high winds, and allows me to calm the boat down with 6 year old twins. :)

I would also like have the ability to put a reef in my main sail for flexibility at lake Pleasant.

In the future I plan on buying a set of racing sails, so then I have two sets. :D

I do plan on racing and joining the club in the near future

So, I will see you around

Bill

Roller rurler

at www.marine.com. They are in Ct and they have the drum 42334 for $67 and the swivel for $42.

42334.gif

bill

They sell it at Defender but is hard to find. I will check. I lost the link..

If you keep you boat with mast up, once you've had a roller furler you will not go back to hank-ons. When it gets windy it is so much easier to furl the jib than fight it..

You will love it.

Barton Furlers Search

http://www.reliancemarine.com/Basket.aspx

http://www.reliancemarine.com/category/29/Sail-Control/view.aspx

I had a link to it at Defender.com but cannot find it.

You can order it from the UK. The current exchange rate is about $1.30 per UK# or Euro. It is the Harken furler and that might be the reason we cannot find it at a local supplier. Harken might have complained to their OEM. The price is around 90 bucks for the furler and swivel. I had one and sold it on eBAY. You have to order the two pieces separately. I could swear I had a discussin in this group a few years ago and posted the link but cannot find it.

I have not posted here in quite a while. I spent a lot of time in making my own furling system a few years ago. I have not had access to a lake other than a tiny one near by in about 3 years. I used to sail on a big lake in Virginia and I can tell you first hand that a furling jib makes all the difference in the world in calming things down when the wind gets up in a hurry. One pull and over 1/3 of the canvas is gone and you only have one sail to try and control then. I also put jiffy reefing in to remove another 1/3 or so when necessary. It stops the screaming ;) plus if its a windy day you can reef the main and balance it with just pulling out a partial jib area or go full jib and get it back in in a hurry if need be and already be down to a reefed main. I like options. Though these are one designs, not everybody wants to sail her with her ear in the water.

Roller Furling jib installation

I have instructions and a diagram of how to install the Jib furler on a 14' sailboat in Jpeg if interested.

Back