To Furl or Not to Furl

Utah Sail

I am considering adding a drum furler for the Jib. Is there a down side to this? It appears that all that is needed is a small boat furler from Harken, a 14 " Jib penant, and a furling line. My sail already has the furling jib luff wire. Did I miss any thing? My only concern is how is the jib tensioned other than the luff wire acts as the forstay? Is there a trade off in performance over the non furling jib configuration?

I am considering adding a drum furler for the Jib. Is there a down side to this? It appears that all that is needed is a small boat furler from Harken, a 14 " Jib penant, and a furling line. My sail already has the furling jib luff wire. Did I miss any thing? My only concern is how is the jib tensioned other than the luff wire acts as the forstay? Is there a trade off in performance over the non furling jib configuration?

Does Harken also include the swivel? Plus, you may want to consider adding a guide within a few inches of the drum. It will work alot smoother. Also make sure you have a cleat on the mast to secure the furling line. I have not sailed enough to speak about the performance.

Ed

You can buy the drum and swivel as a package or you can buy them seperatly. What is this guide you spoke of? Is it a guide just off the drum to guide the furling line?

Dan

You can buy the drum and swivel as a package or you can buy them seperatly. What is this guide you spoke of? Is it a guide just off the drum to guide the furling line?

Dan

The correct name for the guide is a "fairlead". I added a bullseye fairlead and screwed it to the center of the bow. They are designed for minor direction changes in a line. I actually saw it installed on a Capri in the show room in Austin. It cost about $3 and will add life to the line as well as reduce the friction

To Furl or not to Furl That is the question

I'd still like folks to weigh in on whether it is the right thing to add a Furling System. My sailing experience is limited to catamaran sailing on western lakes. The wind can change direction and intensity in a heart beat and the ability to furl the jib when things really start to blow is a great convienience and can mean the difference between a safe escape from the lake and ending up upside down. Maybe I am asking a question that the answer is just obvious. Anyone want to venture an opinion.

I have a 28 foot Columbia as well as my Capri 14.2 and they both have roller furling. I cannot imagine not have it on either boat, as I sail solo almost all the time. It is my understanding that racers that have roller furling, remove it when they race the boat, I am not sure why this is but that is what I hear. It may be because racing sails are much more "crisp" than day sailing sails and perhaps the racing sails won't roll up a well. My two cents worth is go with the roller furling, without question.

Furling Jib

I'd still like folks to weigh in on whether it is the right thing to add a Furling System. My sailing experience is limited to catamaran sailing on western lakes. The wind can change direction and intensity in a heart beat and the ability to furl the jib when things really start to blow is a great convienience and can mean the difference between a safe escape from the lake and ending up upside down. Maybe I am asking a question that the answer is just obvious. Anyone want to venture an opinion.

The basic performance difference is that the jib luff tension on the furling jib cannot be adjusted, thus the furling jibs are not the best for racing.
If your jib has a forestay wire sewn in, then it was probably intended for a furling setup.
The non-furling jibs snap onto the forestay and have the halyard rigged to allow luff tension adjustment under sail.
Ross

Love my furlers

I have had furlers on previous boats but not on my present 14.2. I plan to install one soon. With proper gear, luff can be adjusted with furlering jib.

I've got a Harken furler on my '89 Mod 2 and love it. I think it is original equipment.

I've got no idea what the part is called, but at the top of the sail it's got the same rig as on the shrouds, a 4-inch long "U" shaped piece of metal with a series of holes through it to accomodate a moveable pin, so tension can be adjusted that way, if necessary, but not adjusted while you are underway. I just keep mine set where it is not too hard to step the mast, but still has decent tension (I don't race).

Unlike some other furlers I have seen on bigger boats, my furler is a single line (as opposed to a loop) so the only thing to be sure of is that the line is properly adjusted before to attach your jib sheet(s). You'll need enough line to get back to the cockpit when it is unfurled and also enough to roll in the entire sail. Otherwise, you will either (a) lose your line inside the furler when you unfurl, or (2) still have half your jib flapping in the wind when you roll up the sail. Don't ask me how I know this.

I am cheap and so made my own furler because I had access to a machine shop. Nothing like having that furler when a storm rolls in. Just pull it in and 1/3 of your sail area is gone, much less panic and screaming with that.

With the furler you won't point as high upwind but for day sailing its great. Get the furler and you'll be happy.

With the furler you won't point as high upwind but for day sailing its great. Get the furler and you'll be happy.
In my experience, you can furl the jib and sail on main alone and point much closer to the wind than with any jib. Jib luffs way before the main.

If that was the case, no one would use a jib, but its not. I would be happy to be in a C14.2 with main and jib with you in another C14.2 with just a main sailing upwind. I'd get there 1st every time. Even if you think you're pointing higher you're going forward slower and slipping sideways faster. Anyway, its all about the furler and I suggested the op get one and they'ed be happy...Right?

New Sailor with furling question

I am a new sailer and new to this group. Hello all.
I just purchased a Capri 14 and had it out for the first time. Great fun! I didn't know how to use the furling jib though. I attached the jib to the mast and then to the Harken furler. I didn't understand how to get the sail to furl and unfurl. When I pulled on the thin line to the furler, nothing happened.
I noticed that the furler does not have a spring of any kind. It is just a black can shaped thing with a rope attached.
Any advise that you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Len

I just purchased a Capri 14 and had it out for the first time. Great fun! I didn't know how to use the furling jib though. I attached the jib to the mast and then to the Harken furler. I didn't understand how to get the sail to furl and unfurl. When I pulled on the thin line to the furler, nothing happened.
I noticed that the furler does not have a spring of any kind. It is just a black can shaped thing with a rope attached.

Thank You,
Len

Think of it this way, the jib sheets unfurl the sail and the little line furls it.

I know it's a bad practice, but I store my jib wrapped around the halyard. So, when I step the mast, I connect the furled jib. I also make sure that the furler has enough line wrapped around it so that I will have something to grab onto once the jib is unfurled. To unfurl, I pull on the leeward sheet. That sucks the line up into the furler. To furl, I let the sheets go slack and pull the line on the furler, wrapping that bad-boy right up.

furling issue

If you have a loose rig, the furling drum is not held rigid and can be difficult to spin.
If this occurs, sheet the main to harden the forestay and then the drum will furl more easily. Mine does not work well unless the main is sheeted.
RRE

You got to have the jib all the way unfurled and out when you connect the furler when it is all wound up tight, that way as you pull the line out it rolls up the sail. You guys would laugh to see how I store my jib. I did not like the way it furled upon itself so I slid a slit piece of thin walled pvc pipe over part of the sail with the cable in it. As a result the jib cannot be folded up and stored in a bag, I store it inside a 2 1/2 inch piece of schedule 40 pcv pipe with an end cap on one end and a cleanout plug on the other and just slide the rolled up jib inside and carry that along with my mast and boom.

Obviously it will work either way, since I have been doing it with the jib rolled up and the furling line unrolled after stepping the mast for almost two years now. But I can see how the other way would work just as well. My point to the new owner was that having the jib rolled up with the line rolled into the drum at the same time just will not work. I have thought for a long time about storing my jib as you do, I do not like folding the jib to place it in my sail bag, folding the forstay cannot be good for it.

Len's Furler

Len, it sounds as if you're using it incorrectly. When the sail is deployed, the "can" should be filled with line; when the sail is furled, the can is nearly empty.

Mike

Thank You,
Len

Furler?

Len: Since the C14.2 gives easy access to the jib without leaving the cockpit, I fail to see much advantage for me in furling.

And re/Utah Sail, its easy to run a small downhaul line attached to the shackle at the head of the sail, down thru the hanks, then thru the shackle at the tack and tie it back to the mast as you are putting up the jib. Then if you think you want to douse the jib when wind picks up, you can pull the jib down easily after releasing the jib halyard.

I guess one could argue that in strong wind, you point a little higher and tack easier with a small jib as a furler allows. A reefing mainsail works pretty well, but mostly if you reef before you leave shore. Its easy to shake out the reef while sailing, but difficult to reef when the wind blows well.

RK

Agree

I agree with Dick, errr, Mr. Krebill, but to each his own. Some people love furlers, but the C14's jib is so small that it would seem you'd get better performance, lower cost, and better sail care by using the hanked-on jib. Save the furler system for your big furniture boat.

Len: Since the C14.2 gives easy access to the jib without leaving the cockpit, I fail to see much advantage for me in furling.

And re/Utah Sail, its easy to run a small downhaul line attached to the shackle at the head of the sail, down thru the hanks, then thru the shackle at the tack and tie it back to the mast as you are putting up the jib. Then if you think you want to douse the jib when wind picks up, you can pull the jib down easily after releasing the jib halyard.

I guess one could argue that in strong wind, you point a little higher and tack easier with a small jib as a furler allows. A reefing mainsail works pretty well, but mostly if you reef before you leave shore. Its easy to shake out the reef while sailing, but difficult to reef when the wind blows well.

RK
I guess it depends on where you sail. Here in the south a quick moving thunderstorm can make things get very hectic very fast, easier to just roll that one up and fight the main'sl alone and try and stay upright. I even put jiffy reefing in my main to use if it looks like things are going to be rough. I know it really quietens the screaming from the crew ;)

My condolences on the "screaming from the crew".:eek: Both ideas, roller or douse work to quickly reduce sail, roller being cleaner. If you see the dark clouds coming , you know there's wind in front of it, so respond accordingly.

Money saving furler

It's a bear to drop the jib when it blows. Getting to the bow to unhank while wind is blowing at 25 mph is not a joy. There is no amount of speed you can gain from a hank on that you cannot gain from a furle on jib. Don't let the purists dissuade you.

paste this link and check these out. They are also sold under Harken Brand.

http://shop.sailnet.com/index.php?manufacturer=Barton Marine&level=1&sub_category=Furling Systems|jibfurlingsystems.jpg

It will save you a couple o hunnerd..

Solarfry,
No one(purist?) is trying to dissuade anyone here, just giving options . Dropping the jib on deck is no hard task for most sailors and doesn't require unfastening the jib from the fore stay. Rollers are fine for day sailing/ cruising but its not the only solution. But hey , its easy for you to spend someone Else's cash, isn't it?

I do have a furler on my Catalina 30 and I love it for non racing fun.

Roller Furler update

I had a Barton Roller furler I purchased for $60.00. I just bought a new sail and Harken furler from my dealer and the Barton furler is exactly the same as the Harken furler. That leads me to believe that Harken buys them from Barton and resells them in the US. The Barton is mainly sold in the UK.

Just a note: They sell the Barton furlers at SailNet.com now.

Converting to a furling system

Hello,
I am looking to convert a mod 3 to a furling system. I have been over about 3 times in 6 outings. Looking on page 17 of the manual, it looks like I need a 15 inch pennant as well..
The shroud adjuster I can use the one currently used on the bottom.
The only thing I am iffy on is the wire in my jib. Can a stock sail handle the load.
Here is a pic of my wire in the sail. It looks like its up for the job.
How much does the sailrite reefing kit cost, and where can one get it professionally installed?
I am in Arizona. I need to be able to calm the boat down when I have my wife and 6 year olds in the boat.
As for me I am going out in strong winds today with a bud, and we should be on the edge with our current skill level. Not to concerned when it's only me and a friend and its over 90 deg.

Bill

Attachments

• DSCN9447.JPG
    DSCN9447.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 33
Barton(UK) Roller Furler for small sailboats jib.

Hello,
I am looking to convert a mod 3 to a furling system. I have been over about 3 times in 6 outings. Looking on page 17 of the manual, it looks like I need a 15 inch pennant as well..
The shroud adjuster I can use the one currently used on the bottom.
The only thing I am iffy on is the wire in my jib. Can a stock sail handle the load.
Here is a pic of my wire in the sail. It looks like its up for the job.
How much does the sailrite reefing kit cost, and where can one get it professionally installed?
I am in Arizona. I need to be able to calm the boat down when I have my wife and 6 year olds in the boat.
As for me I am going out in strong winds today with a bud, and we should be on the edge with our current skill level. Not to concerned when it's only me and a friend and its over 90 deg.
Bill

Defender has a Barton Roller furler kit for 95 bucks that is identical to the Harken one. I believe Barton is the OEM for Harken. Check it out.

If you want to go do it all from scratch. the upper swivel is an anchor chain swivel. You can use any PVC to build the Drum. However, I recommend the Barton unit as a cheaper alternative.

I purchased a Harken from boat dealer and it is identical to the Barton, except it cost me a bundle more. The forestay is replaced by a wire from foot of sail to head that atttaches to the drum and roller. Simple to do.

Barton seems

very hard to find in the US. I don't see it at defender, but I did find a link to the distributor so I will try to call it to see if the number is still good. Maybe harken chased them out of the US.

Bill

Bill, as you can see from the discussion thread, some of us don't see the benefit of a furling jib on this boat, least of all on Tempe Town Lake. Did you know we have a large fleet of C14s on the lake? We're part of the Arizona Yacht Club and you can find out more about us at www.arizonayachtclub.org. We're a very active club with education, racing, social, etc. Try us out!
Mike

Back