To Change Juniors Name or not to Change Juniors Name; Tha...

Change the name or not?

• Keep the old vang, but add new deck cleats, cunny, and outhaul

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Keep old outhaul (thimbled, 3:1), keep old cunny, buy new vang system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Add some blocks to the old outhaul and cunny, and buy a new vang system

• Add blocks to the old vang and buy the new outhaul/cunny system with deck cleats

• YES!!!

• NO!!!

• yes

• hell yea

• who is this guy

• No

• Yes, but only in the "Public Announcements" section

• Yes, but only in the most relevant Forum section

• Yes, and in all related Forum sections (except "Chit Chat")

• Yes, and in all relevant Forum sections, plus "Chit Chat"

• Yes, in the "Public Announcements" Forum, plus "Chit Chat"

• Change the name to 'Youths'

• Keep the name as 'Juniors'

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Find a different name.

• Total voters
G

Goonie

To Change Juniors Name or not to Change Juniors Name; That is the question. I habe had a good suggestion to change the name from Junior because Junior is often used to describe 16 year olds and under. And since this Forum is for 20 and under I think it is appropriate we change its name.

If you have a name suggestion please feel free to share your ideas!

Yes, Seth, it may be a good idea to change the name.

As a reason, you noted yourself:
> because Junior is often used to describe 16 year olds and under.

Forget the "often" part!

This Forum is an ILCA NA (International Laser Class Association, North American Region) forum. And in ILCA NA, "Junior" is in fact defined as "16 and under." That's the only definition that counts. Those who are "Juniors" have lower ILCA NA membership fees, they have their own "Juniors" trophies in certain regattas, etc.

So, good point, Seth! If this forum is going to be called "Juniors", maybe it should be restricted to those who are 16 and under. If it will be for some other age group, maybe it should have a different name.

But maybe this is NOT an issue to be decided by a public poll here! Maybe the Laser Class should have something to say about it. (After all, they own it.) Maybe they would like to implement a particular Class strategy and would hence like to offer a special forum for the associated group. I'm making this up, but say, a forum "only for junior high school students who will sail Laser 4.7s". Who knows?

What I am saying is this: Are you sure the Class gave you or the Site Admin the authority to decide which age group this Forum should cover, or how it should be named, or what its membership conditions should be? If so, you should state that right at the beginning of your poll so that we all know.

In fact, we don't even know at this stage whether ILCA thinks such a "special" forum should even exist... (though I could try to provide some good arguments FOR it.)

Suggestions? I have only one: ASK ILCA NA!

Don't say later "My bud Shevy didn't warn me!"

Shevy

Thanks for your concern Shevy. The reason I said Juniors is often used as 16 and under is because I have seen it used for other ages at Yatch clubs near my house. But your right, the ILCA NA is the only thing that counts.

ummm...k

[quote:1bce053a44]This Forum is an ILCA NA (International Laser Class Association, North American Region) forum. And in ILCA NA, "Junior" is in fact defined as "16 and under." [/quote:1bce053a44]

if this is so shevy, then why if you are 21 and under still allowed to compete in the Northeast [u:1bce053a44]JUNIOR[/u:1bce053a44] Olympics?

ummm...k

by the way...keep it to juniors. but i have an idea and i want to know other peoples answers. Does anyone agree that the name should be junior/radials or youth/radials? cause i want to talk to juniors as well as other radial sailors in the same place.

This is the very reason It says under 20ish...In different areas, a junior is defined as a different age. And like Fred's post on the mailing list, we should exhaust every effort to gain Laser coverts while they are young, whether we setup expos at the Opti events or have a junior forum, we need to try it and see what works. I personally like the title Juniors as youths sounds like 5 year olds.

Best,

I agree with you guys. As I said, I have heard juniors thrown around for many different age groups.

alright, hi "juniors" back to the original topic! (sorry, late response, i know i know...but i just joined and was browsing through) how about "youngER people" hahaha. hmm, well, at least i thought it was amusing. :wink:

Its somewhat amusing. Good to have you here. You are not late, this part of the forum was just created!

I think that not everyone under 20 sails a radial, some are big enough to sail full rig.

Actually, on LIS there are about 30-40 Standard sailors under or at the age of 18. I'm one of them!!! Actually, it may go down this year, because we are loosing several people. oh well, makes it all the more interesting!!

Unless I recieve a direct statement from a class oficial to change the name or discription, I do not plan on changing it at this time. I and many other find the Juniors name to be appropriate. If a better name is suggested that fits the discription better, then we can consider it again at that time.

Best,

Back