Title/Bill of sale???

vupilot

vupilot
Hello,

I am about to purchase my first sailboat. I live in IN and the boat is in OH, it has a trailer as well.

My state does not require registration of a sailboat that does not have a motor of any kind.

My question is... What paperwork do I need to make sure I get with the boat and trailer? Should the boat have a title or is just a bill of sale OK? I understand the trailer should have a title with it since it has to be registered. It is a factory built trailer. So is a bill of sale on the boat ok or should it have more paperwork like a title or manufacturer statement of origin?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Looks like things have changed in Indiana since 1999 or 2000 when I tried to register a sailboat I purchashed from Michigan. The Carmel, IN DMV supervisor wouldn't allow me to register the sailboat without a title from Michigan. The problem was, Michigan law didn't require a title on sailboats under 20' in length that didn't have a built in motor. Since the title requirement was optional in Michigan, the original boat owner never opted for a title. Carmel DMV supervisor didn't believe that and wouldn't even take the time to look it up on the Michigan Secretary of State (SOS) web site and I had to contact Michigan SOS and pay for a certified letter stating that the Michigan law did not require a title. Armed with that certified letter and a bill of sale I was able to register and title the Catalina Capri 16.5 in Indiana.

I don't recall any issues with the trailer. The seller provided the paperwork and Indiana had no problem providing a title and registration for the Shorelander Trailer.

Good luck and may your DMV supervisor be more qualified than the one I had to deal with.

Mike, (Formerly from Fishers, IN)

If your state does not require registration, all I would get from the seller is a simple bill of sale just to keep a paper trail.

Back