Tired of ducking

KScott

I adjusted my sail so that it is about 2 clips higher than recommended so my passenger and I don't have to duck so much (and I can see). I only sail recreationally on a very small lake that typically has fairly light wind. Is there any issue with using a high sail (besides that it may be slower)?

You mean that you don't like having the boom catch on the back of your lifejacket? I have my recreational rig set very high, and there's no issues at all. If you're racing, it can cause a lot of weather helm, which is bad for speed.

I wonder how well using sail clips would work? Not the ones holding the sail, but extra ones hanging upside down with the sheet threaded through. Anything that does the job is better than not having them. I got tired of nearly getting throttled by the drooping mainsheet everytime I tacked.

I've seen racers use duct tape attached to the boom. They put a layer of duct tape on the inside to cover the adhesive so the mainsheet can move easily. There's a video showing how they set it up. When I have a chance to search for it, I'll post it.

I use short lengths of thin line from Home Depot tied into loose loops on the boom, then I pass the mainsheet through them. They work great.

A simple clove hitch not will not slip either. You could Google on how to tie one. I raised mine for the same reasons, tied with the clove hitch and it didn't slip a mm.

Duct tape worked just fine for me. My pal uses just regular 1/8" (or smaller) line to keep his main close to the spar because he is afraid of the awesome adhesive powers that duct tape has to offer.

It's not rocket science anything will work to hold the main sheet sag up. Forget the Velcro, cheap is best. Personally I race with two fat zipties that sort of slid between two sail ties.

What type of halyard are you guys using??

25 ft of 4 or 5 mm low-stretch line. See the APS site for specifics.

PS: since this and the previous message don't belong in this thread and since this topic has been addressed many times, both messages will be deleted in a week or so. Please use the Search feature prior to posting (upper bar; do an Advanced search and specify Sunfish Talk as the section you want to search); it really works....

Back