Tips for buying a used Laser

kgodefrio

Please, can anyone help me with tips on what to look for/inspect when buying a second hand Laser for racing purposes ?

If you think you are going to be racing then you would want a stiff boat that dosn't leak!!You will need a trailer and dolly for regatta purposes. If you plan on just club racing then an older sail, and the old rigging should do you fine. Look for the hull number in the cockpit to estimate the age of the boat.Newer the Boat the better (in most situations).

Good Luck

Check deck areas around the cockpit for give, if you press down with your hand with moderate pressure, the deck should only give about 1/64 of an inch, anything over 1/16 would be bad, think, this area has got to support your weight. Gotta run to class, more advice to follow...

You've probably found out everything you know from Dr Laser, but anyway.

I'd recommend to have a look at as many Lasers as possible, that way you have a clear idea of value for money. Things like extra spars, trailers, dollies and turbo-kits are great bonuses as long as the price isn't bumped up too high.

An easy way to inspect the condition of a hull is to firmly press your hand against the bow of the hull (I would usually thump my palm aainst the fibreglass), thought the owner might not be too pleased. Move around testing the whole area, the softness gives you a clear identification of how vigerously the boat has been sailed and for how long. There should be very little movement for a competetive hull and if it moves and sounds like a wobble board out of a hillbilly folk band i'd say that the hull is dead.

Simply ask the owner if it leaks, you'll have to take their word for it. A cup of water after a wet race is ok, i'd probably put up with as much as a litre for racing... water is weight.

The rest is common sence, cracks equal bad news, especially large crows feet around the mast step. Also, look out for "airing ports" around the mast step which are actually an easy way to gain access to a mast step that has needed serious medical attention in the past.

Hope all goes well.. just remember to have a look at as many boats for sale as possible. Also ask people around your club about how much they paid for their boats and what condition they were in. Because there's nothing worse than finding out you overpaid when it's too late. Good luck. Jackson.

Back