Time to Re-Apply Teflon Polish?

When the boat does not practically jump off of your Seitech when launching, it's time for another round of StarBrite w/PTFE polish.

funny, as it isnt class leagle to apply lube, wax teflon ect. to anything which touches the water, which just so happens to be the hull

funny, as it isnt class leagle [sic] to apply lube, wax teflon ect. to anything which touches the water, which just so happens to be the hull

Huh? Rule 11 a/b for the Laser class read:

11. HULL FINISH
(a)​
Waxing, polishing and fine wet and dry sanding
of the hull is permitted, provided the intention and
effect is to polish the hull only. Polishing/sanding
shall not be used to remove mould imperfections.

(b)​
Sanding and refinishing of the hull with the
intention or effect to lighten the hull or improve the
performance, finish, materials or shape beyond
the original is not permitted.

Huh? Rule 11 a/b for the Laser class read:

11. HULL FINISH
(a) Waxing, polishing and fine wet and dry sanding
of the hull is permitted, provided the intention and
effect is to polish the hull only. Polishing/sanding
shall not be used to remove mould imperfections.

(b)
Sanding and refinishing of the hull with the

read rule 8.​
8. HULL COATINGS​
The use of slowly soluble applications which might
alter the boundary layer characteristics of the hull are​
prohibited.
teflon is not a wax it is a fluoropolymer, which is also a slowly solunle application. also, read rule 11b

Sanding and refinishing of the hull with the​

Mclube also falls under rule 8​

i dont understand this as polishing the hull is believed to slightly improve hull performance so a contradicts b???
theres some pants rules, mast tie is grinding my gears at the moment...you dont need it!!!

read rule 8.

8. HULL COATINGS
The use of slowly soluble applications which might
alter the boundary layer characteristics of the hull are
prohibited.
teflon is not a wax it is a fluoropolymer, which is also a slowly solunle application. also, read rule 11b​

Sanding and refinishing of the hull with the​

Mclube also falls under rule 8​

When you get out of your cubicle and try to protest your fleet for using McLube or PTFE polish, come back and tell us how it goes.

When you get out of your cubicle

Ah oh, no need to be rude to make your point.

Everyone uses McLube and teflon polish.

Hey guys, if this is really important to you, how about posting it on the Measurer's Forum instead of going back and forth all snippy like?

come back and tell us how you feel about this when you flip over and your mast falls out

Why wouldn't the Cunningham provide enough support to hold your mast in? Either way I don't mind using a retainer line but I just thought I would bring up that point.

Why wouldn't the Cunningham provide enough support to hold your mast in? Either way I don't mind using a retainer line but I just thought I would bring up that point.

Your downwind, your outhaul and downhaul are totally off, you deathroll and your boat is working on turtling. It's been a long day and its blowing 15-20, your dog tired so you take a breather as you sit on top of your boat, you start to turn it up and to your surprise it turns over a lot quicker than you thought! Turns out that while your boat was upside down, your DH and OH lines ran through the blocks and you have enough slack so your mast fell out. IT DOES HAPPEN! Most likely your decks blocks and mounting area will be damaged from taking all the strain of your mast, and possibly your lower section and mast step. I've seen this happen guys, trust me, it's ugly, always use a mast retainer. It's not that big a deal and it only takes a second.

it wouldnt fall out if u have rope handles on the cunningham control line. the old system didnt have a retainer line i dont think, because the downhaul would hold it in place. but i see ur point it would be an extra strain on the deck.

Having seen several people lose masts (both old and new systems) from turtling the boat can completely understand why you need the retainer. Putting a mast back in, in strong winds, on the water is not easy (although I've seen it done once by a coach)

Not just the falling out issue, but the falling "half way" out is what worries me most. I'm not sure the mast tube in the deck is designed to support the weight of a mast filled with water and pressing in on the inner walls of the deck tube at the half way point when righting a boat. I'll bet that could destroy a mast step pretty quickly. The retainer line works to keep it mast mostly all the way into the step when capsized. It's a paint to tie, but I won't sail without mine.

it wouldnt fall out if u have rope handles on the cunningham control line. the old system didnt have a retainer line i dont think, because the downhaul would hold it in place. but i see ur point it would be an extra strain on the deck.

it doesn't matter if you have handles or not, just if your controls lines are long enough

Rob B is spot on - the mast tube is not strong enough above the plywood base/donut to support the load the mast can apply to the wall of the tube. So while you may have knots in the end of the control lines that prevent the mast from coming all the way out, if it works halfway up the tube, you can end up with a broken tube/deck

The much lower friction of the new control systems allows the mast to move in an inverted (turtled) capsize much easier then the old cunningham system did, IIRC it was during R&D of the new control systems when they realized the need for the retaining line..

I dunno guys, I've never had an issue and I've never (read: NEVER) used one. I let off my cunningham downwind. Mind you I try not to spend too much time upside down...that doesn't help you beat people or go faster.

In the light winds, where your cunningham is super loose, you don't tend to death roll (shouldn't anyways)

Same goes for moderate winds.

In big breeze, yes the risk of death roll increases slightly, but so should your cunningham tension down wind, ie. just taking wrinkles out, more. This cunningham tension should/will hold the mast in.

Also, no one should leave their cunningham uncleated while sailing downwind...that's just foolish

Shatty. Do you know Alan Clark? If so, talk to him about it. If not, just keep in mind it is a class requirement and you could get protested for not having one, (although IMHO it would be a B.S. protest).

I only know Al from sailing a NQR in Vancouver and seeing him there, as well as seeing him school the fleet at Canadian's last weekend. The guy is fast.

So you're gonna have to explain what you meant by "talk to him about it"

I only know Al from sailing a NQR in Vancouver and seeing him there, as well as seeing him school the fleet at Canadian's last weekend. The guy is fast.

So you're gonna have to explain what you meant by "talk to him about it"

OK. Perhaps I made an ignorant assumption that since you're Canadian and Al is the Canadian sailing team coach and he sails like over 200 days a year you would have seen him around more often and maybe even talked to him. I'm also assuming from your posts that you race quite often and do pretty well. I made the Canadian assumption from the CAN on your avatar and I think you made some Canadian Beer comments somewhere? Al is fast and very easy to talk to. I shared a house w/him at the 2007 Masters NA's. If you have a resourse like that attending events you go to you need to chat'em up.

Ohhhh. I thought you were implying he had something specific to say or a story about the mast retaining line haha.

And I'm not on the Canadian sailing team.

Annnnnd Al is located in Vancouver, while I'm in Halifax...a tiny spread that is not traversed too often :p

I wish I had a guy with his knowledge around all the time...

I do race often. Not so much this summer as I am still rebuilding from a serious car accident last July. I used to take my racing/training/gym time very seriously, and hope to begin doing so again this winter.

I do alright, nothing special and I will never bulls#!t about or inflate my results/achievements.

I don't think I'll start my Olympic campaign just yet..................

Ohhhh. I thought you were implying he had something specific to say or a story about the mast retaining line haha.

And I'm not on the Canadian sailing team.

Annnnnd Al is located in Vancouver, while I'm in Halifax...a tiny spread that is not traversed too often :p

I wish I had a guy with his knowledge around all the time...

I do race often. Not so much this summer as I am still rebuilding from a serious car accident last July. I used to take my racing/training/gym time very seriously, and hope to begin doing so again this winter.

I do alright, nothing special and I will never bulls#!t about or inflate my results/achievements.

I don't think I'll start my Olympic campaign just yet..................

Got it. Did not realize Al was so far away from you. Car crashes suck. I spend a ton of time behind the wheel on busy interstates in the US and I get worried about a wreck screwing up a sailing season or worse......

Back