Tiller Tamer

c14_Jim

Sailing on Shelter Bay
I solo my Omega 14. When racing this week end I needed a way to steady my tiller when I went forward to adjust the vang, jib tension, or get the painter back in the boat. Does anyone have an idea for a way to lash the tiller down while moving around the boat?

...hmmm, Jim, it seems your thread title is the answer. Is the tiller tamer not going to work for you?

Perhaps, just the tiller extension will do the trick if you can make the adjustments one-handed.

-- Edward

I use a bungee because if you need to steer a bit while it is hooked up you can and it keeps it in position well enough.

...hmmm, Jim, it seems your thread title is the answer. Is the tiller tamer not going to work for you?

Perhaps, just the tiller extension will do the trick if you can make the adjustments one-handed.

-- Edward

Edward:
It seems like a lot of hardware for such a simple job. I'm aware of the tiller tamer of course, but I was looking for a more elegant solution. I do have a bungee loop attached to the hiking straps that sort of works, but no matter how I adjust the thing it seems to always "steer" a bit, most often in the wrong direction. I do have some possible ideas, I'll let you know what I come up with.

I like this idea, but haven't tried it myself. Tiller Lock Box:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...001&storeId=11151&partNumber=190934&langId=-1

You have to cut a small hole in the fiberglass and install, but there are not ropes, lines or whatever required like with the tiller tamer.

I use a tiller tamer on my big boat, and I bought one for my Capri but decided not to install it. I think this tiller lock box would be a simpler method. I have a telescoping tiller extension with a ball on the end, so it should slip in just fine. Plus, nothing to get tangled in, or snag on any gear or clothing. I like it on my big boat because I can tighten up the tension on the tiller as I need or lock it down completely for running up to the bow. But the functionality of the tiller lock box looks better for the Capri.

My Capri is a trailer queen, so I rig the boat every time I use it. I decide against the tiller tamer because of the extra hardware and rigging it up each time I go sailing.

Here is a link to a Tiller Tamer vs Tiller Lock Box discussion. I cannot open from my work connection, so I cannot guarantee it will work.
http://forums.pda.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=113034

-Robert
1989 Capri 14.2
1984 Catalina 22

Back