tiller ideas for going under traveler

Matt B

has aneyone ever tried to cut a flat spot into a gorilla tiller before and then carbon fibre it over because i dont want to spend £160 on a new tiller and i want a flat spot to go under the traveler other ideas welcome.

I don't see what's wrong with the gorilla tiller... if you keep managing to get your traveller block caught on it in light winds, a simple pull on your mainsheet will free it. Also having a flatter tiller wont necessarily improve it.

Lastly if you cut a flat spot in your gorilla tiller... it would have to be quite a long flat spot because the part touching the traveller changes when you turn the tiller. And I reckon this would weaken it a tad too much.

Hope I helped.

im not bothered about the block getting caught its the fact that the traveler pushes down on the tiller and it has streatched the metal on my old rudderhead beyond repair and poped out a rivet and also it catches on the traveler cleat.

Think that might run afoul of

rule 16: The tiller:
iii. shall, except for normal wear caused by the
traveller rope, be straight along its topmost edge
between a point 30 mm in front of the forward
edge of the rudder head and the cockpit end of
the tiller.

16. TILLER​
(a)​
The tiller and tiller extension are not restricted in
any way except that the tiller:
i. shall be capable of being removed from the rudder
head.
ii. shall be fitted with a cleat, hook, pin or eye to
secure the downhaul.
iii. shall, except for normal wear caused by the
traveller rope, be straight along its topmost edge
between a point 30 mm in front of the forward
edge of the rudder head and the cockpit end of
the tiller.

(b)​
The tiller may be fitted with an “anti wear” strip or

tube of not more than 200 mm in length placed​
above the level of the straight edge required by 16
(a) iii and only where the traveller crosses the tiller.​
(c) The use of a tiller retaining pin is optional.
I hate the rules you cant just botch anything its not like its going to give me an advantage over anyone else i souppose ill just have to buy one

has aneyone ever tried to cut a flat spot into a gorilla tiller before and then carbon fibre it over because i dont want to spend £160 on a new tiller and i want a flat spot to go under the traveler other ideas welcome.

Isn't the gorilla tiller aluminum tubing? If you cut a flat spot in the top wouldn't that just weaken it so it would break and/or create sharp edges that would cut through your traveler? I'm sceptical that carbon fiber over the cut would be able to bond well enough to solve those problems.

On the other hand, if you're good enough with carbon fiber why not try making an entirely new one from scratch? That would probably be better than trying to make a hybrid (and if you fail, you still have your gorilla tiller as backup. . .).

carbon fibre box tube and angle are all expensive where as the wrap was relitavely cheep so buying one is still looking like the best option.

Back