Tiller handle

Jwheld

How do people keep the tiller handle in the square channel on the rudder? Mine had a screw to keep it from sliding out one way, but not the other. It’s always been loose and I would like to cure that!

Thanks in advance!

Hi J,
Mine has the single screw too, but the tiller is wedged in so tight that I have never been able to move it.
If I had your problem, I would:
A: Drill a couple holes in the box channel and screw the thing in place.
or
B: Drill through the box channel horizontally for a trigger pin to hold it in place.
Option A is more permanent, but will produce a solid connection between the tiller and rudder head. Option B allows you to pull the pin for convenient disassembly or length adjustment. Also, option A is super easy and cheap. ;-) So, it depends on what you want.

Cheers, Karl

Hi J,
Mine has the single screw too, but the tiller is wedged in so tight that I have never been able to move it.
If I had your problem, I would:
A: Drill a couple holes in the box channel and screw the thing in place.
or
B: Drill through the box channel horizontally for a trigger pin to hold it in place.
Option A is more permanent, but will produce a solid connection between the tiller and rudder head. Option B allows you to pull the pin for convenient disassembly or length adjustment. Also, option A is super easy and cheap. ;-) So, it depends on what you want.

Cheers, Karl

I had the thought of a pin through horizontally. Just wanted to see other clever ways people did it!

Thank you!

I drilled two holes in the top of the aluminum box, stuck my handle in, and secured it with two wood screws.

It isn't as easy to remove it now, but then I never remove the handle from the rudder. Originally there was a screw already in the top of the wooden tiller, and it was jammed into the box from the rear. It had bent one side of the box, but it did keep the tiller in place (mostly), though it would come out if you pushed the tiller aft a little too hard.

Now it's rock solid.

Back