Tiller extension

altair

Is there a max length allowed for the extension? Do you have to use a sunfish class approved extension?

ISCA Rule 3.4.1 The tiller extension may be of any length, diameter or size, either fixed or telescoping, attached in any manner including a universal joint, provided it is used solely as an extension of the tiller.

The stock one that came with my boat is very nice and I don't see any reason to get anything different. When we were kids and couldn't afford a stick, we used pvc tubing or a broken ski pole!

While there is no rule on the maximum length, there is a physical limit. Too long and when tacking the extension hits the main sheet or can't be swung around in reverse because it will hit the bridle.

True, and that's where a telescoping one might come into play, but really, it doesn't have to be that long unless you are doing foredeck too :D

You don't want it too short either. Many beginners tend to sit too near the back of the cockpit close to the tiller. And a lot of Sunfish sailors don't hike hard enough in heavy air. The extension needs to be long enough that you can hike with your toes just tucked under the toestrap right at the front of the cockpit with your body extended straight out sideways and your hand holding the extension comfortably in front of your chest. Actual length will depend on your height.

You guys really need to try a universal extention bracket that allows the extension to swing in 3 axis. It's the next best thing I've done to mine!!! There's one made by Holt Allen that seems made for the Sunfish!

Back