Tiller Extension Removal Problem

I am going to restore the wooden tiller and would like to remove the aluminum tiller extension to do so. The problem is that I can't figure out how to unbolt the tiller extension! There is a bolt of some sort which is inserted through a hole in the end of the tiller and capped with some sort of nut that I can see and access with a ratchet wrench. However, when I turn the wrench the entire bolt turns and there is no way to get a wrench on the other side as the tiller extension blocks the way. Also, the other end of the bolt seems to have a rivet head of some sort with no slot or any other way to grip it even if I could get at it.

Are these extensions designed to never be removed? They seem to be fairly common as I have seen similar tiller extensions before.

Any ideas will be welcomed!

did you remove the cap on the joint? usualy there is a thin cap over the screws that just pops off with a screw driver.

I didn't see any screws or a place for any either. The tiller extension connects to a long bolt that goes through a hole that has been drilled through the end of the wooden tiller and has a nut of some sort screwed on the bolt end holding it in. It seems simple enough but I am unable to find a way to unscrew the nut!

Possibly West Marine or BoatUS has an extension for sale similar to yours that is not installed. See if they will let you look at the installation instructions to see how it is put together. Maybe then you will find a way to take it apart.

Otherwise, can you cut the bolt off between the tiller and the extension with a hack saw? You'll then need to get a new joint but at least it will be apart.

Good luck.

Get your marine store catalogs out and see if you can find the same extension. If you find it, the mechanism for attachment may be described. If not, call the store and ask customer service, they usually know their products. The extension may be a "quick release" type with a method to pop it off and you're not seeing how it works.
Fred

I'm not familiar with the newer type extensions. If you'd like, I can suggest how to go with a wooden one which can swivel 3 dimensionally, not just in one plane.

Al Courtines

Back