tiller extension question

cmcgaugh

I just purchased a new minifish and the tiller extension is missing. Looking at some picts of a sunfish/minifish I could easily make the wooden handle with the
bolt/swivel. However, is it worth the trouble or should I buy a new style tiller extension to mount to the top of the tiller? What is best?? Ideas? Any great tiller extensions brands that I should look at?:confused:

The new style aluminum tiller extensions with the 360 degree solid rubber universal joint are very nice and the handle has a nice feel, but for day to day cruising, a solid wood extension bolted on to the tiller should be more than adequate.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I am looking at a Fastac universal aluminum extension-saw it on West Marine's website. It seems reasonably priced.
Have you heard anything good about it? I am a larger guy in a minifish, so the universal would be well worth the extra $ to help me get around the other side on the tacks.
I get pretty bruised up trying to twist around a fixed tiller at the end of a long day.
Any 'best buys' out there?

I went ahead and purchased the Ronstan black "Battlestick". Love it.
I did take off about 6"+ off the tiller when I attached it. I might take off
more....works great.

I cut the wood tiller a bit...I did it because on this minifish, I tend to sit more
towards the back instead of hangin' off the port/starboard straight out.
I'm a bit larger at 210lbs and I found that sitting more towards the back, the tiller was a bit too long. To put on the new Ronstan extention I planed down the tiller (just 2in'') then I screwed the extention in place. Works great.
:) Happy Sailing!

I would go to west marine and buy a universal with the rubber joint. I have used the metal swivel ones and I really don't like them, you cant turn them as much

Back