Tiller extension - epoxy coat?

Slipstream

Hi,

I've got an old tiller extension cross wrapped in Kevlar fibers. Over time some of the Kevlar wrap is starting to Frey, would it work to paint some unthickened west system 105 / 205 over the top?

Image attached
photo copy.JPG

Thanks

If it's like the Acme tiller extension, it isn't "wrapped" but the Kevlar fibers are the structural component of the extention. I would think epoxying it may buy you some time, but if the fibers are starting to fray the strength is already compromised.

That isn't quite the same construction as the Acme, which uses a woven carbon material. Those kevlar yarns look like they were wound/braided directly on the tube.

Anyway... Yes, re-coating with epoxy will help reduce any additional fraying, however you need to provide some UV protection as kevlar/aramid is degraded quickly by exposure to UV (as is West epoxy). If it were me, I'd coat it in epoxy and then give it a spray in your choice of paint.

Thanks very much, i'll do that, hopefully it will last a while longer... I snapped it last season and epoxied a small pvc section inside the tubing to put it back together. The weight distribution is a little off but it's stronger than it was before

coat it with international schooner varnish that's what all the chandlreys and boat builders paint carbon fibre spars and accesories with as it is uv resistant unlike epoxy

Back