Tiller and extension length

mixmkr

My other thread shows my new wishbone tiller and extension. Its 48" and the extension is just under 40" ...love the new tiller btw. Very responsive.
With those measurements the hiking stick doesn't always pass under the mainsheet with the tiller centerline. Now...that's when I'll have the boom just off the deck in front, gooseneck about 17" or so....
I have to fairly drastically have the rig much higher or the gooseneck up around 20+" or more for the stick tip to squeek past. Fwd boom block is JUST aft of the cockpit lip with ALMOST a straight downward line to my deck block

I'm thinking of either moving the spar block forward a couple inches or shortening the extension. I see these 48" extensions for sale and wonder how those would even fit given my 39" is sometimes too long
Seems about 30" or so would be perfect. Will sail more before cutting or more holes in the spar
What length do you all use??

I'll set the rig up today....get pics with precise measurements so there is no confusion. But do say it sails balanced in 15 kts with the spar about 6" off forward deck and a slight aft, upward cant

A telescoping tiller extension would solve your problem. I sail all my dinghies with telescoping tiller extensions. I've got 4 of the Ronstan Aluminum Battlestick tiller extensions. They telescope from 29 - 48 inches.

They are the RF 3131 model. And they are expensive. $96. But they are worth it. More info on the tiller extension here.

Here's a quote from a post I did on the Laser forum about tiller extensions.

"On all my boats, I frequently adjust the tiller extension length, depending on the conditions and my point of sail. Why? Because I can. There are times when it's absolutely the most convenient to have a short tiller extension and shortly thereafter it's best to have as long a one as you can get."

- Andy

Last edited:
the hiking stick doesn't always pass under the mainsheet with the tiller centerline.
Upwind the extension needs to pass behind the forward part of the sheet only when tacking, and you won't have the tiller on the centreline then.

Andy. I remember that thread and was going to get the telescoping one...but this was the shortest that came with my new tiller. Maybe still get one. Thx

Upwind the extension needs to pass behind the forward part of the sheet only when tacking, and you won't have the tiller on the centreline then.
Yeah. Need to re visit some YouTube. Its so close that it has snagged due to my error. 10" shorter would aide my poor technique at times

Ok...pics show halyard at upper spar at 56". Gooseneck at 18". This is a good overall setting for me (210lbs) in about 15kts with is what I look for when I want to go out.
Wishbone tiller is 48" and the extension is 39.5 "

As you can see the extension comes past the forward edge of the cockpit. 10" shorter might be best for me??

Sometimes I'll raise the whole rig up a tad (if my back is tired!) and attach the halyard around 60-64". Adjust the gooseneck closer to 20", which gives me a little more "ducking room"
Mainsheet still comes down from the spar to the deck block at about the same angle.

wadda ya think....move that forward spar block a tad forward.... 4-5"?? Anymore and I'll start interfering with the dagger board with the sheet..
Leave it alone and learn how to tack and sail ;-) ??

Attachments

• 20170701_121043.jpg
    20170701_121043.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
  • 20170701_121102.jpg
    20170701_121102.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
  • 20170701_121109.jpg
    20170701_121109.jpg
    974.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20170701_121131.jpg
    20170701_121131.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20170701_121144.jpg
    20170701_121144.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • 20170701_121153.jpg
    20170701_121153.jpg
    942.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20170701_121209.jpg
    20170701_121209.jpg
    931.1 KB · Views: 68
As you can see the extension comes past the forward edge of the cockpit. 10" shorter might be best for me?
I can't say I am familiar with the exact geometry of the Sunfish, but that extension looks awfully short as it is. Remember, as I said, the tiller is not in that position when you move the extension from one side to the other. If it is, you're doing something wrong.

I need to figure out what's right then...
Tiller extension on high side with me. When tacking I'm pushing the tiller away and then should be able to pass the extension thru then too with the outboard end facing downwind on the new tack? THEN as I straighten out the tiller...bring the extension thru and now up on the new high aide?

The Lasers in these videos seem to have the 107 cm extension (the bare minimum for that boat), which reaches just about as far as mixmkr's past the forward part of the sheet when the tiller is centred. Stop the first video at 2:51 and see how much distance there is between the end of the extension and the sheet when the tiller is at an angle during a tack! That's what I was talking about.

I see that I've been bending the tiller and extension the wrong direction...or actually too far to try and make room.. Reverse the bend behind your back as you're finishing the tack, seems to be correct. Also leading with the aft foot. Just went out and "dry sailed" trying this method. Worked like a champ for this 64 yr old frame! Problem is there is 0-5 kt winds at the lake today so will have to wait to try on the water. I don't like paddling and drifting.

Back