Tie dinghy on dock?

RyanLee

Hello,
I just purchased yesterday my first sailboat, a used Pico.

I currently have the hull tied down (right-side up) on the dock in our backyard.

My question is which is preferable, storing the hull tied down on the dock, or floating in the water tied to the dock? When I've rented sailboats, they tend to keep many on the grass, so wondering if this was safer? On the otherhand, keeping it tied to the dock, but on the water, is easier on my back.

Also, if storing on the dock is better, I assume upside down?

Thanks!
Ryan

Pico's are very tough, I'd go with what ever is easier on your back, so keep it in the water and scrub it occasionally to get rid of the weeds. If possible keep it out of the sun. They fade and look manky. Rumour has it years of strong sun can cause material to crack.

Lastly check for corrosion behind all the Stainless fittings. If any, Remove, add Duralac and refit with Aluminium rivets. These are strong enough for the Pico.

Pico's are very tough, I'd go with what ever is easier on your back, so keep it in the water and scrub it occasionally to get rid of the weeds. If possible keep it out of the sun. They fade and look manky. Rumour has it years of strong sun can cause material to crack.

Lastly check for corrosion behind all the Stainless fittings. If any, Remove, add Duralac and refit with Aluminium rivets. These are strong enough for the Pico.
Thanks Riv, happy leaving it in the water makes sense, my back thanks you!

Yeah, some people leave them on the dock too long.....

Attachments

• November 2009 105.jpg
    November 2009 105.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 61
I chained the front metal loop to the dock with a metal chain and lock, and the mainsheet boot ring with rope to the dock as well.

I think it would make more sense to attach the traveler to the dock with rope instead of the mainsheet boot ring, but I am not sure if it would add too much stress?

By the way, this is a freshwater lake.

Thanks! Took it out for 10 minutes this week, can't wait for Sunday to get in a few hours! Boat cover is in transit.

Attachments

• 20200513_212051.jpg
    20200513_212051.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 54

Back