those new blocks..

Krycek

SO... now that the blocks are avalible for pre-order for 96 USD... are people going with them or sticking with the old ones until breakage or something...

I'm not sure if I'm going to swap them now or wait until something breaks. They are definately going to be an improvement just a bit pricey for the set.

I am waiting for them to be released in the UK. I have one of the steel block holders on the boom starting to come loose and I think I should replace the block at the same time. Just hope it holds out for long eough!

Based on USD prices at a few different suppliers (APS, WestCoast Sailing etc), its only an additional ~$20 for the fancy schmancy new Harken block set. If they are as good an improvement as LaserPerformance suggests then I think its worth a try, particularly if you were going to replace the old blocks anyway.

I'm going to get a set as I've been wanting to through bolt the boom blocks on my boat and this provides motivation. I also oversee a fleet of club Lasers so I can provide feedback to the exec as to whether its worth replacing the fleets blocks too.

Sure am curious to see just how freely our looooong mainsheet runs through the blocks in light winds.....

SO... now that the blocks are avalible for pre-order for 96 USD... are people going with them or sticking with the old ones until breakage or something...

I'm not sure if I'm going to swap them now or wait until something breaks. They are definately going to be an improvement just a bit pricey for the set.

I'm sticking with the old ones until they break... I agree that $96 is pricey... granted that isnt much more than replacing the same blocks with the current setup, but that setup (around $75) is pricey also... This is what the class should be doing....

Hi Folks,

I will be sticking with the original design traveler blocks. I have no complaints and couldn't imagine anything else giving me a better or lower cost sailing experience. The original design has lasted for nearly four decades.. That's a pretty good design.

Plus.. $100?! That is crazy. I would rather go a regatta.

Cheers,

Taping the traveler blocks every three months or so isn't so bad, and I can buy A LOT OF duct tape for $96 :D

Taping the traveler blocks every three months or so isn't so bad, and I can buy A LOT OF duct tape for $96 :D

Hi Wavedancer,

Next time you have the duct tape wear down, then do yourself a a little do it yourself activity.. Get yourself some heat shrink tape from your local hardware store. Then put it between the blocks and lite a match.

The heat tape lasts years instead of months.

Cheers,

I'll be getting the new blocks because I don't think mine have been replaced for a looong time. I was going to replace them last year but I heard about the new ones so I'm going to get the new ones.

$96 US is a bit pricey especially considering what they may end up in Australia but I don't mind paying that if what was charged before was only about $20 less for a pretty poor design that wore out pretty quickly. And by wear I mean having the inside of the sheave end up worn so the sheave would have a lot of movement in it.

We shot some video and took some detailed measurements of them. Check it out on the APS Blog, The Stern Scoop http://blog.apsltd.com/2009/06/hands-on-harken-laser-boom-traveler.html

If you're coming to Annapolis this weekend James, our storefront manager, has rigged his boat with them and will be sailing with them. Hunt him down for a first hand look. He's the tall lanky guy with brown hair that kind of looks like Waldo in a red boat .

APS Stern Scoop

I demolished my traveler block on a jibe late last season and had to replace. So it's a tough call, maybe I'll wait until another breakage.

At least now that there are decent legal alternatives to those blue sh*t swivels, having to buy a replacement won't be adding insult to injury. Just wish we could just select our own blocks rather than paying the markup you get with any Laser-branded parts.

Back