this sucks

Isn't it funny that we're reading arguments about who's better by folks from two nations that were pretty much founded by disgruntled or criminialized subjects of the British Empire? How about we take this discussion out on Main Street and shoot it up High Noon style to see who's better. Or it could even make for a great feature film: Crocodile Dundee vs. The Terminator. LOL

I don't normally take sides in petty arguments, but I would have to support my mates down under, I spent a month there after a mission to Antarctica, and in that short time I nearly got married, to a laser sailing lass named Erin from Adelaide, South Austrialia. Good times all around!

sailor327 said:
:mad: it sucks to live on the central east coast of florida right now. i live in vero beach florida and where a sail we cant sail their for like a month because the water is so contaminated with oil, gas and sewage. it sucks because we hav been hit directly with both hurricane jeanne and francis. :mad:
.............sam ,,I'm sorry to hear of your pollution dilemma,,not to mention the rather strong winds you've been getting!--these of course can BOTH be attributed to the way that we humans have been treating our planet!
As clean as we wish to think we live our lives,,,,,,fiberglass boat manufacture is VERY dirty ,,not to mention the old banger cars most of us sailors use so that we can afford yet another manufactured toy!!
I say this more for awareness than guilt,as guilt does nothing....but if there's any small way that each of us can make even the smallest difference in a given day,,,it can only help!!
-----If you're going to drive across the state/country for a regatta---be sure to share the trip with as many others as possible.

In NA westcoast,,where I sail,,,the water is still okay other than the occaisonal oilspill,,,,but the orcas are now trying to eat otters,,,,which means the seals are getting scarce,,,because the salmon are getting scarce,,etc.

Asia Tsunamies...

If you are a good grown up Laserite, you should think about spending some of your money (f.e. you got as chrismas gift) in this days not for your water-toy, but for the people there in Sri Lanka, Thailand, Indonesia... that survived the big waves at the Indian Ocean. The need all the help.
Thanks
LooserLu
GER-46438

P.S.: The former German prime-minister Helmut Kohl, who was on Sri-Lanka Island as tourist during Christmas, survived. Also the famous former Swedish skiing-pro Ingemar Stenmark, who was lieing at the beach of Phuket-Island/Thailand, survived. When the water came, he had to run for his life.

Today on the TV they say, more than 40000 people got killed by the water.

Glenn W. said:
At least we Americans dont have to worry about getting eaten by a great white shark, and speaking with a funny accent.
We're the koolest country in the world because the three most powerful people in world are Bush, Dick and Colon.
Now i have heard some REALLY dumb stuff before butthis wins as the dumbest thing i have ever heard. having these three idiots a part of your country does not make you cool. end of story

ascella_dylan said:
Now i have heard some REALLY dumb stuff before butthis wins as the dumbest thing i have ever heard. having these three idiots a part of your country does not make you cool. end of story

geez--get back in your hole ,eh?That's the only place you might be able to remain oblivious to the real world. :eek:

hey i just started this thread to tell you guys about the hurricane not to start fights beetween countries. both countries are grest and lets leave it at that.

43575 said:
The waves are great on lake erie. The max i sailed on the lake was 6 footers. those were good sufers and you could not see the boat in front of you.

Still doesn't beat our 15ft+ swells one day last summer... THAT was a day to remember, with huge waves (more than 6 footers, close to 10)

That was the first time I was actualy affraid to go out... At ~30 knot winds (very approximate, I'm horrible at guessing wind speed), and 150lbs in a full rig, I was kinda screwed. I snapped my carbon tiller extension (no idea how :confused:...) and got a few small tears in my sail, along with a bruised ego and sore bank account. This experience persuaded me to get a radial rig, hopefuly I'll adjust nicely to the smaller sail this summer :)

Anyways, every location has it's pros and cons, lets not fight about it :)

David said:
Still doesn't beat our 15ft+ swells one day last summer... THAT was a day to remember, with huge waves (more than 6 footers, close to 10)

Anyways, every location has it's pros and cons, lets not fight about it :)

Hey David,

I used to live on an island on the west end of Lake Erie fairly close to 43575, and 6 foot waves there aren't swells, they are chop. The lake doesn't have tides or current to speak of, the waves are formed solely by wind. I don't know how you could surf them, and don't see myself ever trying, but then, I carry a purse. (Apologies to braver purse carriers.)

Lake Erie is really shallow on the west end, at most 30 feet deep and this contributes to the chop. It's very bad when storms come up and I've heard that Lake Erie has the most shipwrecks in the world. Don't know if it's true.

I remember a story from acquaintances, who years ago had a pocket cruiser he and his wife would sail on Lake Erie. They were poor students and had no money for electronics. They didn't even have a radio. They listened to the weather forecast before they went out for a weekend sail, but a summer storm surprised them. I don't know if they were heading in to a harbor or trying to get to deeper water, but they didn't make it. About a mile offshore the wind rolled them, and the water was so shallow their mast got stuck in the bottom. It was night, they had their life jackets on, they could see the shore, so they swam for it. The lifejackets restricted their movement and it was still choppy, so they had to swim for hours. They crawled exhausted onto the shore close to someone's house. The homeowner greeted them with a shotgun and refused to allow them to cross his property or get them help. They had to make their way through briars to get to the road where they soon found a neighbor who wasn't crazy. The boat is probably still out there in bits on the bottom.

Merrily

Back