This is one HEAVY BOAT

Hi, just an update. I drove to Santa Paula, Ca . today with a 15y/o kid to pick up the 1990 Laser I bought on ebay. I kind of bought it on impulse. Haven't sailed in more than 20years and thought it would be fun. Anyway, if this boat weights 130 lbs I'm seriously out of shape. The both of us couldn't lift flip it so deck is flat on my van racks (Mecury Villiger). The boat is like new and came with a dolley that comes apart for easy storage. I'm not sorry and think I got a good deal for $1095 for the whole package. My only problem is how can I get it to the beach without bringing 2 extra people to help me lift it off the van. The only solution I can think of is buying a trailer. This was what I was trying to avoid. Any suggestions guys. My boat has a serial or I.D. #PSBD0316C090 (1990) , Pysmallbo. Any input as to type of Laser ect would be appreciated. Thanks Mike.

A trailer is a good invesmen, you can get a new or used laser trailer for under 900 hundred, it will be much easier and save you time!!

you could put a roof rack with rollers at the back ... with a wheel system on your tiller holes ... cant give exact details but worked for the guy i watched once.

don't you think thats a little overkill though when you could be normal and just get a trailer, that all you would have to do just to put it in and out of the water is drive your car up and down.

Trailers involve initial cost, the trouble of registration, and they're more difficult to store than a boat alone if you want to keep it in-doors. I don't know that there is a "normal". After all, wasn't the laser designed to car-top?

That being said, I personally would be more interested in a boat on a trailer. But I'm one person out of tens of thousands.

most people trailer, if not on their own trailer, then on the club trailer, so yea, its pretty normal

why don't you try installing a inspection port and blowing air through it so it loses water weight. there should be no reason other then water in the hull for the boat to weigh 135+

My husband and I can lift my Laser without much trouble. I take the bow, which is lighter. Two adults can do the job, so if yours is so heavy that you can't, then the fiberglass probably is soaked with water. If you don't want to cut an inspection port, then get a little fan, Vtgent49 recommends a computer fan, and keep it running at the transom drain over the winter to dry it out. A little fan because they tell that too much air pressure can blow the boat apart at the gunwale seams.

I think I have to agree with you guys. A trailer is the way to go. Thought I could dodge the added cost. If I want to be able to sail without involving others its the only way to go. I take it the "dolley" that came with the boat is only for manuevering it by hand and not designed to be towed by a car? Thanks Mike.

P.S. do I have to get a trailer specifically designed for the Laser? Or will any generic boat trailer work?

$1095 for a complete boat, including dolly, is a pretty good deal. Don't know about the weight thing, but there is no way to get a Laser on and off roof racks by yourself easily.

I sometimes cartop myself, but I have a Harken lift system in my garage lets me drop it down on top of the car. Of course I still have to find somebody help me take it on and off the car once I get to the water (mental floss knows what I'm talking about).

Trust me on this one - if you don't have an easy way to launch and retrieve the boat, you won't use it very much. I only cartop when traveling several hundred miles. I trailer when going to the local lake.

There are various options for trailers. For $300 or so, you can buy a generic trailer from someplace like Northern Tool and Equipment and adapt it for Laser. You can also buy Trailex or Kitty Hawk trailers that are custom-designed for Lasers. These allow for easy launchand retreival, but run $600-$700. There are a ton of threads on trailers here.

I take it the "dolley" that came with the boat is only for manuevering it by hand and not designed to be towed by a car?

NOOOOO!!!!! It's amazing how often I get asked that when people see my dolly. I just ask them if they think it looks the least bit road-worthy.

Oh! good tip on possibility of water in the hull. I never thought about that. I didn't notice any sloshing around when we finally did get it up on the roof. Like Merrily mentioned maybe the fiberglass is waterlogged inside. Will definately check that out!

Right! That my new mission. Find a trailer, pronto. Without it I can see the hassle would a great behavior modification technique to keep me from using the boat very much. Too much of an ordeal. Hooking up to the car and backing into the water sounds much more user friendly. See ya.

if you do find a trailer find one without rollers they cause stress on the hull, one that radles the hull is ideal, like this trailer in the picture its my boat on its trailer

Capt. Jack, Thanks for the picture. Definately helps my in my search. I would imagine the part of the trailer that the boat sits on must be custom for the contour of the lazer boat. How does that work. Do I buy a trailer then order that part separate. This is probably a stupid question.

The best way to actually trailer a laser a upside down, deck down. We got a 13' sea lion trailer, and just made bunks out of 2 1'' by 6'' and screw them to the bunks that were on the trailer.

No most trailers built for the laser come custom adjusted to it, or if you have a band saw or a handy man it will bill very easy to custom adjust a traler to a laser.

If you don't want to cut an inspection port, then get a little fan, Vtgent49 recommends a computer fan, and keep it running at the transom drain over the winter to dry it out. A little fan because they tell that too much air pressure can blow the boat apart at the gunwale seams.

I bought a fish tank pump and have been running it into the transom plug of my boat for the last month. It seems as though it has gotten rid of the moister that was in there.

i thought it was bad to store a laser on the bottom hull??? mine has 3 spots that sit just under the gunnel of the boat. with the bottom hull floating above the trailer.

most of the people at my sailing club just put their dolly onto a "Box trailer". this way you can use the trailer for your saturday morning tip runs and tow your boat...

Hi again, I am now of a mind to buy a Mini utility trailer that has a flat metal beamed floorbed. My plan is to build up a wood base to fit the hull of the laser. What I need is a pattern of the curvature of some section of the hull (front and back) or (aft and stern) to build my carrier. . Any suggestions how I could make a pattern of the hull shape so it sits nicely in the rack would be appreciated. I was originally just going to buy a generic trailer and put plywood down to make a flat surface. Then I thought I would rathter have it in sailable position as I lift it out of the trailer into the water. I'm thinking it would be easier. Mike.

You can do something like this with a utility trailer. I believe this image is from D5 in Canada.

...or a Kitty Hawk trailer designed just for the Laser. It doubles as a dolly right from the car because it's so light.

Either type of trailer tows better with 12" diameter wheels. Many utility trailers as well as Kitty Hawks come with 8".

Attachments

• laser trailer.jpg
    laser trailer.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 70
  • trailer halfsize.jpg
    trailer halfsize.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 81
You can do something like this with a utility trailer. I believe this image is from D5 in Canada.

...or a Kitty Hawk trailer designed just for the Laser. It doubles as a dolly right from the car because it's so light.

Either type of trailer tows better with 12" diameter wheels. Many utility trailers as well as Kitty Hawks come with 8".

The Kitty Hawk is a great trailer, don't get me wrong. But its kind of like the iphone, it does everything, but not very well. It's great for trailering short distances, but not cross country. And it's an ok yard dolly, but not for at the end of the day, when your tired, and you have to pull it all up the 35 foot long launching ramp, and and it's waaaaaay low tide. You have to have your own dolly. There's pretty much no way around it.

Thats why a regular trailer is the best-long distance-minamal eforret user friendly -only takes one person.Regular as in float on.

most big regatta's don't do float on laser launching, you MUST have a dolly. You won't be able to get away with that at Miami/ABYC OCR, CORK, MWW, MWE, NA's

Mastermike, thanks for the pictures. This kind of input really helps me. My hope is to keep the cost very low. I have access to a flat type utility trailer for next to nothing. I want to build (plywood ect) a curved carrier to seat the laser. Of course I could buy a Kitty Hawk but right now cost must be considered. I need to figure out how to make a pattern of the curvature of the bottom of the boat to fabricate the carrier to attatch to my trailer. Any input from anybody appreciated.

I suggest a Kitty Hawk but along with that purchase you might want to get a Fitness Made Simple Video tape and a set of barbels. This is a laser and you will have to be in shape. It also depends where you are launching the boat from. Beach, Ramp, etc.

Ross, what are the problems with using the Kitty Hawk to trail distances? I have used one for several years without any problems, sometimes trailing the boat several hundred miles at a time.

I just think it's not good on the hull. I've heard of it going right through the sides of the hull. But thats just my opinion. And I would want something a bit beefier to tow long distance, with bigger tires.

jeez. this guy just bought a boat. he hasn't sailed in 20 years, and we're already sending him to the NA's? whoooaah, hold on. it was already mentioned that he needs to to workout a little. true. also, to get a little or alot more familiar with exactly what you've gotten yourself into. buy a laser book and look at all the cool you-tube stuff scattered around this website. find a local club to get some land based knowledge before you even get wet. i'm just trying to be positive, because it will take baby steps before you're racing around the buoy's again. now go buy a trailer, already.

Ross, I am not sure what you mean about the trailer going through the sides of the hull. The hull is supported at 3 points under the gunwales. No other part of the trailer is in contact with the hull. Do you know how such an accident happens? I agree it is not very "beefy" but I think upgrading to the 12 inch tires helps for longer distance trailing.

I have seen the damage the two sides supports can do. I've seen them punch right through the hull. Also, you can get wicked cracking if there is not enough padding.

. I need to figure out how to make a pattern of the curvature of the bottom of the boat to fabricate the carrier to attatch to my trailer. Any input from anybody appreciated.

You don't want to do that. The Laser is not intended to be hauled this way. Either turn the boat deck side down on the trailer, or support it under the gunwales.

Here's a good thread discussing trailers, and there are many others.

http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=2611

Re: Kitty Hawk

I just hauled my Kitty Hawk 1200 miles plus to Vancouver BC and back, 75 to 85 mph. No problems. The trailer supports hardly make a mark on the side of the hull. The supports are soft plastic and the same shape as the recess under the gunwale, and the hull is strapped down tight to them. They have some 'give' from side to side, so if there's a lateral load on the boat the hull moves and the supports don't dig in.

I put 12" wheels on it so it rolls nicely on the highway. On soft sand beaches a dolly would be nice, but I haven't had any trouble on steep ramps by myself. I yank it over a vertical 8" curb into the yard all the time.

As Merrily said, with a utility trailer, it's best to carry the boat deck down, and it's much easier to cut supports to fit the deck shape. Support it at the back of the cockpit and the mast step. If you have a dolly, it sits on top upside down. The photo I attached has a storage box between the boat deck and the trailer bottom where he carries his blades and gear.

If you find yourself turtled in a storm and sitting on the bottom for a quick rest, you'll see that the bottom is quite soft compared to the deck.

Back