Media This is my sunfish im restoring

Jburns305

This is my sunfish that is in the process of being restored. All I need is some money. haha. we all need that, but these are pics of when I first got the boat. Its been sanded down and cleaned to the best it can. I need to know if it's possible to paint the deck again and with what. I am going to have ?'s on the say so Im asking my fellow sunfisher's for their help.
THANKS PEACE

Attachments

• sunfish sailboat 141 (Medium).jpg
    sunfish sailboat 141 (Medium).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 144
  • sunfish sailboat 149 (Medium).jpg
    sunfish sailboat 149 (Medium).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 144
  • sunfish sailboat 118 (Medium).jpg
    sunfish sailboat 118 (Medium).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 166
  • sunfish sailboat 142 (Medium).jpg
    sunfish sailboat 142 (Medium).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 152
  • sunfish sailboat 148 (Medium).jpg
    sunfish sailboat 148 (Medium).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 130
  • sunfish sailboat 143 (Medium).jpg
    sunfish sailboat 143 (Medium).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 122
You are a gluton for punishment! This is one rough looking hull, but if it doesn't weigh over 150 and is otherwise relatively sound, you can restore it. I am guessing that this is a pre-1971 hull
(that originally had the old style bronze rudder fittings on the deck and keel) and that the inspection port on the stern was installed to allow retrofitting a new stainless steel "U" shaped rudder fitting for a rudder upgrade (but then the rudder you show in the photos is the old style with the bronze hardware.) You can refinish the hull. A two part epoxy paint is the best bet, but Interlux Britesides one-part paint will work if you sand well and follow the directions on the can carefully. Both paints are expensive.

Good luck. You have your work cut out for you.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Watch That Bottom Paint!

Doesn't the name "Brightsides" suggest using it only on the deck?

I used some kind of one-part paint on my entire "Matrix 18" catamaran—observing the can's instruction that the parts should not be immersed in water for more than a few hours per use. (At $20 a quart).

Since my sailing seldom took two hours in a stretch and the boat was hoisted above the water, I thought I was safe.

The finish promptly blistered below the waterline, though it got a good sanding. :confused: :(

Go for epoxy.

Back