This is an interesting video.

"Interesting" is right. Among other things, I would have thought he would have to have heard creaking, groaning or cracking when he sat down in the boat while it was on a trailer that appears to have minimal support for the hull.

Watch for his next video shot by a stranger, on Thequalifiedcaptain.

Noted:
Main sheet cleats but no hook. Just the holes where it belongs.

Obsolete and worn rudder kick-up.

Barely usable sail, stretched and patched.

C-Board way short.

No main mast cleat.

Is that main and rig correct? Looks small and way high off the deck. Possibly from a Sailfish?

Why was he wearing a PFD?

Liked the ensemble. I would totally wear that to take my wife to dinner.

Wow, tough crowd! There are plenty of old style Sunfish and blown out sails out there. I think he provides some good information to those that own those many boats and don’t know the basics of setup or sailing.

Wow, tough crowd! There are plenty of old style Sunfish and blown out sails out there. I think he provides some good information to those that own those many boats and don’t know the basics of setup or sailing.
Agree. Nothing wrong with the sail although it is rigged too high and on wrong side of mast. He clearly does not understand the rudder should be locked down and not floating up. Mast cleat is a “nice to have” and not mandatory.

Perhaps he was expecting a flood and thus wearing his PFD on what to us appeared to by dry land.

Captain Q is just trying to lighten things up a bit, you'd need to start at his first video and realize he was providing much needed lighthearted web content during the pandemic. He's wearing port and starboard suspenders for goodness sakes. But he know more than most of us about yacht sailing and racing, and I like watching his videos to learn about unique features of these boats. We're offered an unbiased report on those boats vs the slick salesman trying to unload a clunker.

"Captain Q is your tour guide for finding and buying a sailboat - whether it's a bluewater cruiser, a racing sailboat, or a liveaboard yacht, he brings his 60 years of extensive sailing, boat, racing & cruising knowledge to find the perfect diamond-in-the-rough deals on used sailboats."

I have to add my comment was based on his comments on how to sit in the boat. I think he was being serious and I cring after having the sailing instructor yell at me regularly for not sitting forward on the cockpit. Now everytime I see someone not sitting forward on a sunfish that is all the comes to my mind.

It certainly would be neat to see him sailing it this summer.

Back