This is all new and I will probably drown

Ran's Man

Hey folks,

My name is Francis, I am very very new to sailing and in fact I have not started taking lessons yet ( Everything is still closed) but I am reading a little bit and hoping to buy a sailboat in the spring or late winter when the sailing schools are open.

Figured I would say hello and come learn from you fine folks. I really want to cross the Atlantic ocean in a few years.

So hello!

Hey Ran's Man....Welcome! Lots of good videos online of folks crossing the Atlantic, fun to watch their development and actually do it. Assuming there should be enough people in the Garden State that have done that as well, and can help you out. Good Luck.

Hey Ran's Man....Welcome! Lots of good videos online of folks crossing the Atlantic, fun to watch their development, and actually do it. Assuming there should be enough people in the Garden State that have done that as well and can help you out. Good Luck.

Thanks for the welcome, I been watching alot of the videos and enjoying seeing the people restoring the old boats and updating them. I ordered sailing for dummys. I

Hi, I just joined about 5 minutes ago and just in case you (or I !) actually drown, it was nice knowing you, even for such a brief time!

If you wear your PFD, chances of drowning are reduced. I just got started this year myself, a few months ago. You don't necessarily have to wait for lessons to get started, depending on your boat. If you get a single mast, single sail dinghy (laser, sunfish etc etc) you can read up and then slowly start getting out there and practicing. ASA has a great little phone app to practice points of sail, sail trimming etc. I am reading "Sailing Skills and Seamanship" and "Chapman Piloting: Seamanship & Small Boat Handling" and going out and sailing as much as I can in between. Took a safe boating course online and got my cert for CT. Yesterday had a chance to take out a wooden Cat Boat. a Beetle. I guess I am saying get started now, small steps ans it will all start to come together. Its very rewarding.

Back