This Certainly is a Silly Thread

Should I add a poll to this thread?

• Total voters
Maybe she was using one of these possum cushions:

1516-58-217x.jpg

After this thread, I might need to order one of the possum wool sweaters for frostbiting!

1836-499-217x.jpg

Or maybe a possum fur hat:

200x166.84210526316_images_Backcountry-Possumdown-Bean.jpg

The companies claim that:
Each night the possums in New Zealand eat 22,000 tonnes of native forest. Your purchase not only means that you have acquired a unique garment that will give you years of pleasure but also that you have contributed to the preservation of our native bush and forests.

The natural property of the world's only 'eco fur' is that each fibre is hollow and thus gives excellant insulation whilst ensuring that the garments are light and very soft. As well as incredible softness and warmth the yarn is strong and durable. Rigorous tests have proven that it wears better than Cashmere and has superior anti-piling qualities.

I tried those and they kept catching my mainsheet while gybing.

And if I stuck my head up too far, I scratched the window.

I will do that this morning...

As for out on the water? I am waiting until he swims a bit better. He is close to being being conditioned enough to be a swim forever dog but the chest cavity needs to grow before his built in floatation is there for long effortless swimming.

I will do that this morning...

As for out on the water? I am waiting until he swims a bit better. He is close to being being conditioned enough to be a swim forever dog but the chest cavity needs to grow before his built in floatation is there for long effortless swimming.

How well does he hike?

Ya know...That will be an interesting thing to find out. Back in the early eighties I sailed a lot with Wabash on board. He used to either sit on the high side and "get interested" in the waves and water and jump off....so I had to go back and get him...Or he would sit calmly with his 84 lbs on the low side of the cockpit and his head reaching so his head could dangle in the waves...very hard to hike hard enough to make up for that.

In 1994 I started taking Skipper sailing and all he did was dance around in the cockpit ( all over my rapidly bashed up shins) wagging his hairy tail in my face as he chased whatever splashes of water made their way into his view.
This would be Wabash and Skipper playing in 1994. Wabash was about 15 and Skipper was about 18 months old. Wabash had such an old bad worn out body he could hardly move, so Skipper did most of the playing for both of them
Skipper%20with%20wabash.jpg

Bats have wings .. and i don't ... I tried to fly but fell and broke my arm. will stick to sailing i've decided.

i was doing a forward somersault off the 3rd story with my pet bat .. flapping my wings of course ... got it stuck on the top of the Laser mast and hung there for a week, before my pet bat ate it off and i was able to fall into the boat.

i was doing a forward somersault off the 3rd story with my pet bat .. flapping my wings of course ... got it stuck on the top of the Laser mast and hung there for a week, before my pet bat ate it off and i was able to fall into the boat.

Well, I'm glad I asked! Is your pet bat going to be awarded a medal? He/she sounds heroic. :cool: Has your arm been reattached, or are you currently growing a new one?

thanks for the concern ... but i rang me ol' mate Harry Potter and he loaned me some pollyjuice potion to grow me arm back .... its as good as new... now i can fly with my broomstick the Nimbus 2000
nimbus%202000%202.jpg

My Dad and Virginia didn't like each other much at all. Actually, I think they secretly appreciated each other a lot but could not stand one another publically.

They worked in the same boat factory. Dad was an engneer and Virginia was a fiberglass laminator...back then the official job title was "Lay up Girl."

Anyway, Virginia's broom was one of my Dad's favorite targets.

When she was late for work:
"Do brooms have trouble starting in cold weather?"

When she was complaining about something in the personell office:
"Virginia! Isn't your broom double parked?"

had so much weatherhelm on the weekend i broke the rubber connector from the tiller to the extension ... 5 boat lengths over the start line :(

it was full rubber?! no rope inside the rubber.. i thought they all had rope :eek: better replace with rope one...

Reon Reon Reon
Another
Inconvenient
Dumping
Start

A rope inside a rubber is a great way to prevent AIDS

So I fixed an F-18 catamaran today. What a stiff, light, strong, laminate!

If our boats were built of the same layup schedule new Lasers would not bear up as well as a current laser when dragged over stones and nails.

Those new Lasers would weigh about 90 pounds

Those would almost NEVER soften from sailing

If Lasers were built at 130 lbs with a layup schedule similar to the F-18 and with the extra weight added on the outside of the hull and seating and standing areas of the deck...

We might have "Permanent" competitive Lasers.

it would probably cost at least $500 extra to build those permanent lasers.

The Premanent Laser would beat regular Lasers in any condition where the old fashioned Laser actually flexes as it passes over the water.

In light winds, the boats would be equal.

IN five years, all the new boats would be the fast ones that last and all the old boats would not be competitive anyway.

Five year old "new" boats would be faster than old boats and just as fast as new boats and would be available cheaper than "boats built like today's new boats"

Laser racing would be cheaper for the competitors and the field of equal boats would grow every year ...

I wish the transition could begin today.

i think my rudder has not been down properly :eek: as today i put it down before i sailed off .. and had less weather helm :eek:

got third today to :D

i think my rudder has not been down properly :eek: as today i put it down before i sailed off .. and had less weather helm :eek:

got third today to :D

Well, congrats on getting third. From the way you stated the rudder issue, it sounds like before today, you sailed away, then would put it down. That certainly is silly. ;)

I know knew aailor who was put up to putting his rudder down. He moved up to the front of the fleet. Then he put up his trophies. I had to put this down.

Well, congrats on getting third. From the way you stated the rudder issue, it sounds like before today, you sailed away, then would put it down. That certainly is silly. ;)

well it has motivated me to lose weight... was so much more fit after a couple of months of sailing and was able to hike much longer.,.... = went much faster :D so this week i lost 3kgs :)

yeh ... i used to sail off the shore (we are on a flat lake) and pulll the rudder down with the rope ..... not any more :p

OOP sorry. I was watching the football game and smashed the keyboard when the wrong damn team scored

You expect accidenatal posts made by my elbows to be spelled correctly??

Here, and for the benefit of those who doubt evolution. I shall just randomly whack more keys>>>

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago-never mind how many long precisely-having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself involuntarily passing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberatly stepping onto the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off-then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself on his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

Back