Thickened epoxy?

Aladinbama

I need to mix up some thickened epoxy and have a question - what do I mix with the epoxy that will result in a white(ish) color? I've made wooden boats and mixed sawdust for fillet material for stitch and glue, but what do I use to make it white? Also, I would prefer something commonly found due to the fact I only have three very small holes that I'm wanting to fill in the bottom of the cockpit. I don't really want a bunch of excess. It may sound stupid, but would something like flour work?
OK, I promise I'll pull my head out shortly!

WEST sells a thickener they refer to as chopped cotton. It is just cotton that has been ground to almost flour consistency. When you mix it with epoxy resin to comes out almost white. However, white Marine Tex comes out the most white, and works well on white gelcoated areas.

Alan Glos

I did another search, apparently with the right words this time, and came up with fumed silica. It's probably not as white as the Marine Tex, but it was cheap. I guess we'll see.

Microballons or 3M glass ballons are used and will be white depending on the resin. If you look up resin fillers you will get lots information.
Minas man

I'd give the WEST technical support folks a call/e-mail. They are very helpful. There might be a commonly available pigment that you could use.

Back