The Road to Peeps (Easter Laser Regatta)

DK: Are you referring to the photo of Merrily sailing on Charleston Harbour in her websites Bio?

While they say size doesn't matter, its looks like an appropriate length to me and Merrily appears to be enjoying it so who are we to argue :)

How many inches is it M?

:D It is long enough.

You need an extension that long for when you are hiking out. It doesn't take long to get used to handling it.

We went out on a San Juan 7.7 with a couple of guys. They needed us to hold the boat down. 20 to 25 knots. Main only. It was a hoot. My only task was to move from side to side with the tasks and not fall off the boat. As you may realize, not an easy feat!

Look everyone Fred grew bunny ears over this event!

Attachments

• fredhasbunnyears.jpg
    fredhasbunnyears.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 54
:D It is long enough.

You need an extension that long for when you are hiking out. It doesn't take long to get used to handling it.

So how long is it Merrily? I started with a 54 Fatso Jr, and now use their 48, both work pretty well.

So how long is it Merrily? I started with a 54 Fatso Jr, and now use their 48, both work pretty well.

Not sure. It's a really old Fatso Jr that I just replaced the universal on. I'll have to measure sometime. Think it's 54.

I feel like I’ve had a real vacation. A lot of times going to regattas is hectic. Drive, drive to get there, race, and drive, drive to get home. It was great to be able to arrive early and get situated and be rested and relaxed the morning of the regatta. Staying a couple days after was really icing on the cake. We got to experience Texas a little bit instead of just interstate. One thing I enjoyed was the accent and manners. I got called ma’am a fair bit, and when we went out to eat with some of the sailors the night before the regatta, the waitress said “All, y’all want to sit at this table?” “All, y’all” is the plural of y’all, and it was the first time I’d heard it in real use. Kinda fun. Then when we went big boat sailing on the San Juan 7.7, we were watching a puff come down, and the boat owner announced, “Puff, y’all.” We knew we’d really done some Texas sailing then!

I feel like I’ve had a real vacation. A lot of times going to regattas is hectic. Drive, drive to get there, race, and drive, drive to get home. It was great to be able to arrive early and get situated and be rested and relaxed the morning of the regatta. Staying a couple days after was really icing on the cake. We got to experience Texas a little bit instead of just interstate. One thing I enjoyed was the accent and manners. I got called ma’am a fair bit, and when we went out to eat with some of the sailors the night before the regatta, the waitress said “All, y’all want to sit at this table?” “All, y’all” is the plural of y’all, and it was the first time I’d heard it in real use. Kinda fun. Then when we went big boat sailing on the San Juan 7.7, we were watching a puff come down, and the boat owner announced, “Puff, y’all.” We knew we’d really done some Texas sailing then!

No doubt, Great place, Great people. "All Ya'll" is referring to an entire group. "Ya'll" generally covers about 2-4 people.

The same "Eric Faust" as director of the North American J/24 Class Association?

Eric left his position as the editor of the NA Laser Sailor after the Fall 2001 issue so he could take over as the Executive Director of the Newly formed US J-24 Class Association and spend hours and hours distracted from his new job on the phone talking Marc Jacobi and me through the publication of the Winter 2002 issue of the Laser Sailor...after that we were on our own...mostly.

A few years back, the Laser district secretaries had to make the tough decision whether to elect the renowned NA Class financial statement reader and interpretor Tim Landt as NA Vice president or Eric Faust. Five of the district secretaries voted for guy who could read and interpret a financial statement as no one else ever had, but Eric won the election and has held the title as VP for North America ever since.

Since that time, John Peck stopped serving as the IJCA Executive Director and Eric is also serving as the International Executive Director for J-24s....I think. I am at least pretty certain he does the international newsletter for the J-24s

He still has had time to bust two Laser top sections in the last few months.

Hey, I'm home and trying to pet the cat while typing. She missed me. We had a good trip back except for just above Cincinnati on I71, it was raining, and a guy in shiny red mustang passed us and began to hydoplane. It was a whoa, whoa, whoa breathless please don't hit us moment as he slid into our lane in front of us then out again. He smashed hard into the concrete divider as we crept safely past him. We pulled over and called 911 from the berm off the fast lane. There was so much traffic that it was hard to get out of the car to check on him. He got out of his car without a scratch. Can't say that for his car. It had to be totalled.

So I'm thinking about what I can do to continue to improve my sailing. I think following Bill Mitchell's example is the way to go. He heads out in higher winds 3 times a week for a couple of hours at a time. In other words, practice, practice, practice.

Gouvernail gave me and John a couple of bunnies, just for being us, I guess, at the Easter Laser Regatta. I named them Priscilla and Buster and Gouv wanted to know which was which. Whatever floats your boat, Fred! While I was lazing out, the bunnies took my boat sailing and John got pix. Turns out two can easily fit in a Laser.

Attachments

• Priscilla and Buster.jpg
    Priscilla and Buster.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 44
  • Torquing the boat.jpg
    Torquing the boat.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Rule 42 Violation.jpg
    Rule 42 Violation.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Renewed Intensity.jpg
    Renewed Intensity.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 45
Oh dear! It would appear poor Buster is losing his carrots over the windward rail in 'Renewed Intensity'.

Perhaps Priscilla's course changes with that 54" tiller extension are a little on the erratic side? :)

Oh dear! It would appear poor Buster is losing his carrots over the windward rail in 'Renewed Intensity'.

Perhaps Priscilla's course changes with that 54" tiller extension are a little on the erratic side? :)

Buster is just really committed to hiking hard! Can't say that Priscilla's steering isn't erratic though. It was her first time at the tiller. :D

The Visiting Ohio folks reaction to our hot sauces gave me a marketing idea>>>

683.jpg

Hey, this belongs in the silly thread, because we LOVE hot sauce. Ever since Endorphin Rush took off the lining of my mouth, not much tastes hot anymore. Cute picture, though.

Back