The Road to Peeps (Easter Laser Regatta)

My head doesn't hurt as badly. I got smacked in the back of the head and I'm not sure how that happened. I was on port and tacking when it happened. Maybe there was an auto-tack. It's all very fuzzy. Hopefully it will feel all better in the morning.

You can either believe Merilleeeee's posts above or consider she may have found a good source of these>>>>
lime-margaritas.gif

Gouv, I would more love the second part of your last reply is true. But perhaps she really got a light concussion ( in Latin lang.:"Commotio cerebri") or a "slingshot-trauma" (1:1 translated that, what one get, if one is a driver in a car and another car crashes from behind into that car). There is nothing to joke about, true Merrily. Did you had a visit at a medical doc or an ambulance/clinic? It is not usefull for your health to sail on, today, perhaps you need in minimum a full day (24h or more) of doing no sports. There is no need to stay in bed generaly, that's the good news, "netdoktor.de" told me. If it is a slingshot-trauma, you have to stay in hospital for 24h, to be under control of the MD's, netdoktor.de says.
However, make the best out of it. Here at GER the winter came back over night. I'm afraid, the hidden Easter eggs of the Easterbunnies are frozen at Easter-Sundays morning...
Ciao
LooserLu

My head still hurts this morning so I've got an e-mail out to my doctor.

Rob, I've been thinking about helmets. The question is, what sort of helmet should I get? It was a hockey helmet in the recent post, but would a baseball helmet work? I think I''l make a thread on it.

OK, my doctor said (from my marvelous description) that I don't need a medical evaluation, I have no restrictions, and it may hurt for weeks. Swell.

Hey, a couple of grouse just flew within a few feet of our campsite. We got out the binoculars and bird book and think they were Prairie Chickens. They were beautiful with chestnut brown and golden backs.

Rob B said:
In South Carolina we call that SUPPER! (Dinner is lunch).
Left my shotgun at home.

Hey-hey, it's Good Friday...
Traditional christian sailors don't eat meat on this day, not even from birds...
And, I guess, today, having a strong diet is useful, to be well prepared for the surely big/delicious/famous Texas-BBQ's that follow during the next days, correct? I bet, Mr. E. Bunny already is heavy-heavy busy to prepare all for that events... ;)
Merrily, if the headache not allows you to sail during the next days, why not take a job as RC-judge at one of the marks and rule the waves (... or wafe the rules ... ;) ).

Merrily, you asked for some sympathy, here are my 2cts:
Last Wednesday, Miss Xu Lijia from China did lead the gold-fleet at the 2008 Laser Radial Worlds for females aft nine races. Yesterday, at race 10 she got a penalty for not legal pumping (rule 42). As this was her second offence in the series, she was required to retire immediately and lost the chance at all to become 2008 female world champion at the Laser Radial. But, Sarah Steyaert from France made her day and now is 2008 female world champion at the Laser Radial.

My question is: who of this two ladies today have the stronger headache??

Cheers
LooserLu

I polished my boat. Had lots of corn chips while waiting for supper, so I'm all carbed up. I'm trying to decide whether to sail Radial or full tomorrow. I guess I'll check the weather again in the morning.

We were going to put one of those swimmers noodles on merrileeeee's boom but she looks kinda scrappy and we are scared of offending her and dealing wirth the resulting barrel of Ohio Whup ass.

So...we took her out to dinner and fed her fish taccos...good friday respect for Lu

The photo may be Merrilleee eating a chocolate bunny

tj_eating_chocolate_bunny2.jpg

We were going to put one of those swimmers noodles on merrileeeee's boom but she looks kinda scrappy and we are scared of offending her and dealing wirth the resulting barrel of Ohio Whup ass.

So...we took her out to dinner and fed her fish taccos...good friday respect for Lu

The photo may be Merrilleee eating a chocolate bunny

tj_eating_chocolate_bunny2.jpg

And it may not be me. Ohio whup ass here we come. Second thought--I'll take the pool noodle.

We started one race in light air and abandoned by the first boats reaching the windward mark. I was never so glad for an abandonment. I had fallen out of my boat and everytime I tried to right it, it flopped over on me. I spend five minutes in the water. Idiot! I said some very un-Merrily things. RC held the boat down for me and I got back in. One sailor advised me to pull the mainsheet in to steady the boat. Dang. I "knew" that.

We just had lunch with some tasty subs, chips, etc., and FishingMickey brought dessert, lemon merangue pies and some elaborate chocolate thingies. Yum! Thanks, FishingMickey.

The wind has filled in a bit and the next race is at 1:30. Wish me luck for my brain kicking in.

Oh, man, am I sore! We got in 4 races this afternoon, all in 5 to 10, I'd guess. There was sporadic powerboat chop too. The Gouv does his own Easter Bunny Course. It's always W,L, W, reach, reach, L, W, L, W finish. So we've been round and round and round some more. I'm happy enough with my scores. There's about 38 sailors and I think I'm 28th. In the 3rd race I was doing pretty well until I capsized. I remembered my first capsize and climbed up over the gunwale and got on the centerboard. I righted the boat but it kept going so I did it again and finally got in. I think I lost at least 5 boats then. In the 4th race I got a good start but went left and there was nothin' there. I used my compass and started to get the hang of it. I sailed Standard because everyone was and it was fine. Tomorrow I may switch to Radial if the wind picks up. A good day.

The wind howled in the night, with gusts rocking our camper and chiming through the big boat rigging to beat the band. It's died down to a more manageable level, maybe 10 to 15, but it's predicted to go higher as the morning goes on. I notice that the AYC weather gauge is not active. Too bad.

I probably won't sail today as I'm too darn sore. It wouldn't be prudent. As I've said before, I don't want to get injured and ruin a whole season of sailing. Just not worth it. Or should I say, it wouldn't be moderate, get it, moderate?

I also met Texas Sailor Girl. I don't know her real name but she probably whupped me yesterday. I spoke briefly to her mother and asked her if she sailed Lasers. She said no, too bouncy. Well, that's how I feel, been bounced around a bit much. I may serve on RC.

I'm very happy with my choice to not sail. I went out with RC. They got in 4 more races, wind 15 knots to 23 knots. About 30 sailors started out and 8 or 9 came in over the morning. Lots of capsizes. One broken Radial lower and one broken upper with a Standard rig. We're eating lunch now and will have the awards in a bit.

I GOT MY PEEPS! There are pink ones and blue ones and green ones. John and I also got a stuffed bunny each, one pink one and one blue one. Thanks, Mr. E. Bunny!

Eric Faust won the regatta, which is a fantastic feat, since he was the one who had the broken upper in the third race. He sailed in and rerigged in time to go out and win (or do well in?) the last race.

Thanks to Fred and the Austin Yacht Club. The trip from Ohio was well worth it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, it turns out there were 40 boats, plus two boats with some confusion on their numbers. I finished 30th (and I guess I was 30th yesterday too). We're going to hang around for another day or two, and I hope to go sailing tomorrow. Oh, did I say that I met James Freedman?

Thank you. There's hardly any wind, but I'm going to rig and go out for a bit. I'll wear my dry suit! I have to get my boat off the launching dock and around to the ramp anyway. It's sunny and in the low 60s, that's 16 C for the rest of the world. It's a purdy day in Texas.

She went sailing one more time and then packed up the boat for a trip back to the snowy northland. It always surprises me how few snow birds come down for the Easter event. Some Minnesotans have figured it out and we always have a contingent from Minnetonka. I say the more the Merrileeer and with our huge camping areas, you can stay a few days on either side of the event and be welcomed thoroughly.

If the right guys can find Merrillleeeee tomorrow and convince Mr Merileeee to go along, they already have a big boat ride arranged.

I had a nice peaceful sail late this afternoon and even hiked a bit with full cunningham on. Boat is mostly put away, just as the Fredster said.

I don't know what pages I'm in but I was wearing a red spray top, white baseball hat, and big sunglasses. My boat has a blue stripe and it's number 177349.

Fred wore a red life jacket and white floppy hat on the first day and a yellow jacket with red life jacket the second day. He looks like a Viking, sans horns. His sail has USA on it and his boat has a blue stripe.

Mr. Merrily and I went to an Irish pub on 6th street in downtown Austin this evening and had fish and chips. We tipped a few brews and listened to live music at several venues. There was a little bit of something for everybody, and a good time was had by all.

If we can get out on a big boat tomorrow, we will be happy. John's shoulders were really aching today from leaning off the rescue boat trying to untie the outhaul from the sheared off radial. The sail was partly under our boat and he couldn't reach the vang to release it. He's ready to sail tomorrow (today).

DK: Are you referring to the photo of Merrily sailing on Charleston Harbour in her websites Bio?

While they say size doesn't matter, its looks like an appropriate length to me and Merrily appears to be enjoying it so who are we to argue :)

How many inches is it M?

Back