The Road to Master's Midwinters in Florida

Merrily

Administrator

I’m hoping to go to the three Master’s midwinter events in Florida in February. John and I have motel and camping reservations, so the “only” thing holding me back is a pledge that I’ve made to myself to finish the book that I’ve been working on for many years by the first of February. It is within my grasp.

The thing is, I don’t want to get there and be so out of the shape that I can’t comfortably compete. I’ve gained 10 pounds since this time last year (Merry Christmas), so I’m a bit heavy to sail Radial, which is what I expect to sail. I want to lose the flab and be conditioned for Laser sailing. I’m counting calories and following a diet similar to the South Beach diet. I can’t sail now because it’s winter in Ohio and the river is frozen right now. It may thaw, and if I can get anyone to go out with me, I’ll do that for the practice and the fun. I have an exercise program that I’m adhering to. For strength I’ve been doing push ups (I can do full body!), rows, lateral pull downs (can’t even begin to do chin ups), various planking exercises, one-legged squats, dead lifts. I also do a one hour pilates routine that I’ve been doing for years. For aerobics I’ve been using a rowing or cycling machine, half an hour with some intervals. Aerobics is my weakness, as I can’t run due to knees that swell up like grapefruit when I do. I’m trying to add some brisk walking to increase the aerobics. So my pattern is Day 1 pilates, Day 2 strength training and brisk walk, Day 3, rowing, Day 4 strength training and brisk walk, Day 5 cycling, Day 6 rest. If I can’t get outside I do some stair climbing, yes, on real stairs. I don’t want to add time to the rowing and cycling because it is just too darn boring and also stressful to my joints to go longer. What do you think? If I stick to this workout, will it be enough? Any suggestions? I’m not joining a gym, so it has to be stuff I can do at home. Oh, yeah, I also try to get some weight on the tops of my feet to simulate hiking.

I put my boat away clean and dry, so no worries there. Some of you will remember that I had rub rail on the gunwale. It kept trying to come off in places, so I finally pulled it off by hand. So much for permanent marine glue. So far, I’ve become a good enough sailor to not bash up the gunwale like before. :) I’m going to be checking all of my equipment and clothing in the near future to see if I need anything there. In particular, I’ll be looking for my sailing watch. I think that it has somehow sprouted legs. Hope I’m wrong.

I was hoping to be able to go frostbiting tomorrow. The temperature will be close to 50 F, but there's ice on the river that won't melt in time. :(

The exercise is working as planned, but by the time I get to the third strength set, it's like, ow. I know it's nothing compared to the owie I'll feel after a day of sailing if I don't work out now, though.

Looking forward to sunny Florida, and if I don't make it, I'll also be disappointing my husband. The pressure is on. Back to work.

Oh yeah, I also have to fix the universal on my carbon tiller.

Yesterday I looked for the NORs for the three masters regattas that I plan to go to, and I couldn't find one for the Florida Masters at Palm Beach Sail Club. I looked under Regattas. Am I just missing this somewhere?

Re: The Road to Master's Midwinters in Florida--Palm Beach?

I don't know about the FL Masters, but I registered for the MME set for Feb 15-17 last night. I last sailed at that club in '95 and met Mr. Tillman. I imagine he may be in Australlia for the worlds, but it's a great club and the Indian river is a nice venue, (as I recall). I met some other folks from that area at the Masters US NA's last May and they were all nice and fun. I'm really looking forward to this event.

Like you, I've put on some extra lbs that must be removed prior to the event. Your program sounds pretty good to me. I put a lot of focus on flexability, cardio and mild strength training. Remember to stretch a lot before and after working out. The folks at "sail fit" are great to bounce some of your ideas off of. I exchanged a few e-mail w/them last year when I was training for the NA's.

It's not the best time of year for a lot of time in the boat so focus on your body. If you are in good shape it really helps how you feel in the boat.

Good luck. Looking forward to meeting you there.

Anyone else planning on going?

I don't know about the FL Masters, but I registered for the MME set for Feb 15-17 last night. I last sailed at that club in '95 and met Mr. Tillman. I imagine he may be in Australlia for the worlds, but it's a great club and the Indian river is a nice venue, (as I recall). I met some other folks from that area at the Masters US NA's last May and they were all nice and fun. I'm really looking forward to this event.

Like you, I've put on some extra lbs that must be removed prior to the event. Your program sounds pretty good to me. I put a lot of focus on flexability, cardio and mild strength training. Remember to stretch a lot before and after working out. The folks at "sail fit" are great to bounce some of your ideas off of. I exchanged a few e-mail w/them last year when I was training for the NA's.

It's not the best time of year for a lot of time in the boat so focus on your body. If you are in good shape it really helps how you feel in the boat.

Good luck. Looking forward to meeting you there.

Anyone else planning on going?

Thanks for mentioning stretching. I'm very flexible, and sometimes I forget to stretch, thinking why do I need that? I've been letting it slide, but it is such a great warm up.

Hopefully, see in February!

Hi Merrily,

I plan on sailing the three events too, but I sail all year round since I live in east central Florida. I live about an hour away from Melbourne. One nice thing (to me at least) about the Melbourne and the Jensen Beach area is that you are sailing in a protective lagoon. The wind can blow like stink but the waves don't get too big. There is chop but again it is in a protective lagoon and not the ocean. The first master event out of Palm Beach is usually sailed in the ocean which I don't do too often, but I did practice this Saturday out in the ocean off of Port Canaveral. The waves were big because we had some strong winds on Thursday but the winds were maybe about 10 mph which died down to maybe 3-5 (yuk!). Oh well, I got a bit of ocean sailing in and it is different!

So I think that you can handle the events in the Indian River Lagoon and will have to use your discretion for the ocean event. I've been sailing out in the ocean off of Palm Beach and the day I did it was not bad at all but the winds were not too strong.

Cindy Taylor

Hi Cindy,

I'm game for the Palm Beach ocean event--I just can't find the NOR. I've sailed on SF Bay in 25 knots on a J 24, and yes, I'd try it on a Laser. Call me crazy.

I am curious, where would i find the schedule for regattas in florida this winter?

i am curious, where would i find the schedule for laser regattas this winter in florida?

www.laser.org

Scroll down to King of the Masters to find the 3 regattas that I'm talking about, plus one more. I won't be making it to the Carribean. :rolleyes:

thanks, i would like to come down for this one year. unfortunately it will not be this year.

Dick Tillman handed me his registration and check last night for the LMME. Linda is in charge of food for the regatta so we are going to eat well!

Dick Tillman handed me his registration and check last night for the LMME. Linda is in charge of food for the regatta so we are going to eat well!

That's great news! I figured he'd be in Australia. Any idea how many have registered via snail mail and not through the on line registration like Dick?

As of now (morning of 1/24), we have 27 boats registered for the LMME in Melbourne. There are quite a few more that have said they would come, but have not officially registered yet.
One thing I want to remind everyone of is that people who pre-register BEFORE Feb 1st get a FREE embroidered shirt worth about $35. There are both men's and womens styles.
We still have about 10 free housing spots available with our members for pre-registered people.
For those who have not been here before, we are sailing the regatta from Ballard Park as there is huge lawn for boat storage and the sailing area is right off the park. We held both the 2006 Sunfish Midwinters and the 2004 International Masters there as well as the 2007 Alter Cup. We are looking forward to having all of you come sail with us.

1 – 8 – 7 are the magic numbers! Those are the cut-off dates for pre-registration at the Laser Masters events in February. If you want a really neat shirt, make sure you pre-register for the MMWE at Melbourne YC by Feb 1. Save $25 by pre-registering for Midweek Madness by Feb 8 and Florida Masters by Feb 7.

You are coming, aren’t you? Just think, a week in Florida, sailing in the Atlantic and Indian River Lagoon with 50 or so of your smelly friends, enjoying 12 to 20 kts of breeze, basking in 80 degree sunshine, tossing back a cold one or two or more. What more could you want!!!! Oh yeah, a chance to be King(Queen) of the Masters!

We’ve gotten lots of goodies from our sponsors (Annapolis Performance

Sailing, Cabarete Laser Training Center, Colie ProShop, Gill, Harken, Intensity Sails,

Rick White, Rooster, Sailfit, Tackle Shack, Vanguard) to give away Saturday night after a sumptuous feast at Melbourne Yacht Club.

Here’s the websites to visit for NOR’s and pre-registration info.

http://pbsail.org/

http://www.usscmc.org/

http://www.melbourneyachtclub.com/

So why aren’t you pre-registered? Stop procrastinating and get with it! See y’all in February!

So why aren’t you pre-registered? Stop procrastinating and get with it! See y’all in February!

You talkin' to me? Well, I'm not pre-registered because I have to finish the book before I allow myself the luxury of a Florida vacation. I'm almost there, but I need that carrot. Fraid I'll fall apart if I've already paid.

You forgot to mention free beer at Ballard park after sailing and back at MYC with dinner. That will be any draft from the bar, not just lite from a keg. Also that the sanwiches are those really great hogies from Doubles like we had at the Alter Cup.

Well, I've added my name to the rosters for Midweek Madness and MMWE. I can't do Palm Beach due to a family commitment. Now all I have to do is call the regatta folks and make sure that they know that I can't eat dairy. Milk (and cheese, butter, etc.) doens't do this body any good.

Friday is a barbeque and Saturday is something really special put together by Debbie McGreggor and Linda Tillman. They are surprizing me, and I know it will be good. If you do have some special diet needs, give Linda a call and I'm sure she will work out something for you.

Thanks!
Looks like a nice lineup for MWE. Say Hi to Dave, Jack, David, Cindy, Mike, Peter, David, Gary, Rob, Sally, Al, Ian, Ted, Karen, Bob, Marvin, Henry, Joe, Eric, Mike, Ari, Jack and Ryan for me.

Thanks!
Looks like a nice lineup for MWE. Say Hi to Dave, Jack, David, Cindy, Mike, Peter, David, Gary, Rob, Sally, Al, Ian, Ted, Karen, Bob, Marvin, Henry, Joe, Eric, Mike, Ari, Jack and Ryan for me.

I'll try to remember. Maybe I'll just open every conversation with, Michelle says "Hi." :)

Hey, I finished my book. The first entry in my notebook, when I began the research, was in June of 1995. I was thinking it was going on 14 years, but it's only been twelve. Let's hope I'm a better writer than I am a mathemetician. I'm going to go celebrate.

Sooooo....What's it about?

It's narrative non-fiction, about a boy who was captured by Shawnee Indians near Cincinnati in 1792. His father, Colonel Oliver Spencer, headed a New Jersey regiment in the American Revolution, so he had the connections to affect a rescue by diplomatic means. Battles, scalpings, burnings, Indian life, frontier life, and even a journey across Lake Erie in a sailboat. I ended up doing a sort of family saga, because that's what told the story best. The working title is HOWLING WILDERNESS: THE INDIAN CAPTIVITY OF OLIVER SPENCER.

Congrats Merrily, finally you reached the finishing line. Apropos
It's narrative non-fiction,.... Battles, scalpings, burnings, Indian life, frontier life,...
Does Michael Blake (book/storyboard of Dances With Wolves) or Kevin Kostner (director/actor of Dances With Wolves) sail Laser and are member of TLF? Perhaps, that would be THE chance for more for you, Merrily... However, Merrily: maximun success&fun for your Florida adventures.
BTW: we have the famous,big German streetcarnival just right now. Belonging what town one lives, in the moment our natives all got crazy up to next Wednesday and here now say all the time: "Helau" { "Duesseldorf/Rhine", "Munich" },
or "Koelle Alaaf" { "Cologne/Rhine" } ...

Helau
LooserLu

What's a good website for the weather for these regattas? What water temps can we expect?

It won't be hard :)

These are Atlantic temps, don't know what the Indian River temps are but I would think these might be close.

SURF ZONE FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MELBOURNE FL
600 AM EST WED FEB 6 2008

FLZ141-147-062200-
COASTAL VOLUSIA-NORTHERN BREVARD-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DAYTONA BEACH...TITUSVILLE
600 AM EST WED FEB 6 2008

.TODAY...PARTLY SUNNY...BREEZY AND CONTINUED WARM. HIGHS IN THE MID
80S. SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH INCREASING TO 15 TO 20 MPH.

LATEST SURF TEMPERATURE AT DAYTONA BEACH: 64
LATEST SURF TEMPERATURE AT COCOA BEACH: 70
400 AM WATER TEMPERATURE AT BUOY 41009: 74

see you at the mmwe !

mike

The Melbourne sailing and racing site (http://www.sail-race.com) has weather links. I like the Marine Forecast at http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/raw/fz/fzus52.kmlb.cwf.mlb.txt. Look at the coastal waters out to 20 NM for the area that you are interested in. Sometimes they break up the forecast to different areas. Right now the Melbourne area is in the area "COASTAL WATERS FROM VOLUSIA BREVARD COUNTY LINE TO SEBASTIAN
INLET OUT 20 NM" and the Jensen Beach area is "COASTAL WATERS FROM SEBASTIAN INLET TO JUPITER INLET OUT 20 NM". West Palm Beach is just south of Jupiter.

It has been hot on the east coast of Florida for this time of year. I just heard on the TV that Melbourne broke a record yesterday at 87 degrees. We are expecting a cool down this weekend. The temperatures vary as the cold fronts come down and pass.

I wore a spray top when I went sailing last Saturday in Titusville on the Indian River. I get cold when the wind blows on the coolish waters (in the upper 60's). I was just right when the winds piped up to around 10-15 mph.

I would say to take your spray top & maybe your wetsuit just in case a front comes down. You might not need it but if you do you'll be happy.

Cindy

Back