Class Politics The Kindergarten Answer? - What boat is legal?

I've got one older Laser and I'm looking at buying another older boat for my kid to knock around... If he were to decide to race, is the boat legal or is it not?

Thanks.

If it's this one that you're talking about, then yes, it looks quite legal.

Are there some details that you're unsure of, legalitywise? With this boat or in general?

_

Older boats typically will be 'legal'.
Some new, or almost new, boats manufactured by Laser Performance may not be ILCA legal. If there is no World Sailing/ISAF sticker in the back of the tubby the boat will not be (ILCA) legal.

Older boats typically will be 'legal'.
Some new, or almost new, boats manufactured by Laser Performance may not be ILCA legal. If there is no World Sailing/ISAF sticker in the back of the tubby the boat will not be (ILCA) legal.

So basically any boat as long as it has the ISAF sticker is ILCA legal. I wouldn't be buying one of those for my son at this point so I don't need to worry about it.

Thanks for the easy answer.

The IYRU (til 1997)/ISAF/World Sailing (from 2016) sticker was introduced in 1992, so none of the boats older than that have it, but they're still very much legal. Hull/sail number 148200 is the cutoff.

The chance of running into a non-brand-new illegal hull in your area is close to zero. It's however a very different story concerning all other equipment (sails, foils, spars, etc.), as the fake parts business has increased considerably in the last 10-15 years.

If you have any concerns about the legality of anything, please post pictures. I am more than happy to help :)

_

How can you say "
"The chance of running into a non-brand-new illegal hull in your area is close to zero",
When LP and its dealers are selling new, non ICLA boats?
Look at these, they are new and not ICLA legal.

How can you say "
"The chance of running into a non-brand-new illegal hull in your area is close to zero",
When LP and its dealers are selling new, non ICLA boats?
Easily, because I believe "non" means a negation :rolleyes:
The original poster is looking for an "older" boat, and it is really highly unlikely that he'll find an older fake hull in the American midwest.

_

Back