The Joy of Laser Sailing

ems3796

Sometimes it feels like I get caught up in the intricacies of laser sailing and racing, always worrying about moving up places or getting my hull perfect etc, when instead I should think about what I love about sailing lasers. I wanted to take the time to ask the sailors of TLF what their favorite part of laser sailing is.

Personally, mine is planing on a broad reach in 20-25 kts when the whole boat starts to hum with speed :D

a few instances come to mind.

Reaching in the river with a 20+ knot breeze...

Sailing alongside my son helping out while he learns to windsurf....

But best of all is a Summer time Friday evening, 10-12 knots and a couple of chilly IPAs.

A slow reach home as the sun sets and the wind dies after a long, full, hard day of Laser sailing. Doesnt have to be racing... just has to be fun.

Got smacked in the face with the boom while trying to get the main sheet untangled after a capsize, then had to drive home with what was left of my glasses duct taped to my face.

I couldn't see worth a darn but I still had a fantastic time blasting around the lake.

Friendship of other Laser sailors. Unusually I'm the only regular Laser sailor at my club in a varied Handicap fleet. Recently another lad with a Laser joined and we imediately got on. Good close racing between us and an "us against the rest of the fleet" outlook makes good times. :)

Broad reach in a steady 22 knots with gusts to 30. Laid out in the back of the boat as far as I dare, ass slapping the tops of waves, blinding spray in my face, going faster than I ever have before. For a fleeting moment I am on the brink of losing it, but I focus, gather myself, reign it in, and, impossibly, go a bit faster. This happened yesterday afternoon and I am still dizzy from it.

realizing that the 'bottleport' water bottle holder I installed earlier this season holds a bottle of Guinness perfectly!

BRILLIANT!

Simplicity, Simplicity, Simplicity.
Just thought would add this.......
What I love about the Laser is simplicity.

On looking at the dwindling number of Lasers that seem to be at my club and the large Solo class that we have. I had a moment of madness and started looking at a Solo for way of getting some competition.

However on reading it up apparently there are differing masts depending on your weight (taking account of Standard,Radial and 4.7 but they are technicaly all different classes), different cut sails to suit the mast, then you are meant to rake the mast , set the rig tension differently depending on the wind conditions etc etc....

I am going to stay with sticking my two pieces of glorified scafolding together with its stretchy jiffy cloth and actually go out sailing.

Just had to say that,..... I feel better now

A great reach with 12kts wind, a good surf on a wave, and sailing close to the beach and attracting the ladies. Mainly the last point! :cool:

My current joy is not capsizing the other way when I manage to get back in. Were it not for the 9 ft deep sailing puddle I'd turtle. I'd love to actually turtle, as I'd not have to clean the mud off the mast top.

Joy is...joy.

My current joy is not capsizing the other way when I manage to get back in. Were it not for the 9 ft deep sailing puddle I'd turtle. I'd love to actually turtle, as I'd not have to clean the mud off the mast top.
Joy is...joy.

lol :D we have all been there. Think 5 attempts to recover from capsize where the boat capsizes the other way was my record. My partner standing on the bank was in stitches laughing.

Have now moved to a larger Lake which is 7m deep so 360's are possible, however have learnt the art of the dry(ish) capsizes.

for dry capsizes u just have to knw when shes going over or not....trust me takes time:eek:...whats annoying is when u dry capsize and the water from the sail drips on ur head and runs down ur back...

1. Surfing in huge waves! It's as good as the Hawaii crossings I've done, but with a warm shower and a beer afterwards.
2. That feeling you get when you recover from an almost-capsize without losing any boats.

1. Surfing in huge waves! It's as good as the Hawaii crossings I've done, but with a warm shower and a beer afterwards.
2. That feeling you get when you recover from an almost-capsize without losing any boats.

Oh and ...

3. Hanging out with all the other crazy nuts who think sailing Lasers is fun.

I'm not surprised so many sailors mention broad reaching in a stiff breeze, but what really gives me the joy is GYBING - connecting those broad reaches with smooth, unloaded, high-speed turns. Pulling a perfect gybe in 20+ is a mixture of physical and mental exercise. Like touch & goes in a small plane; the hardest manuveur – most danger potential, but sensuous as a kiss when done right. And the only way to do them right is to keep practicing. Oh, yes, and I "second" the sailor who mentioned "simplicity!"

Back