The Great North Gulf Coast Sunfish Cruising Society

Blue Heron II

Wow! Doesn't THAT sound dramatic?!

Actually, there isn't really a Great North Gulf Coast Sunfish Cruising Society.... at least not yet. BUT there appears to be some interest along the Mississippi / Alabama / Panhandle Florida in having some regional non-racing group daysails and/or short voyages this fall. A few of us already get together weekly.... and we are wondering if there might be a few others who'd like to join in. The idea would be to get together, sail around one of the various great sailing spots we have here, and then go eat crab-legs or shrimp at some of the local seafood joints.

All along the Gulf Coast, we've got all sorts of great places to sail.... from the white sandy beaches in Pensacola, to Historic Fort Morgan, around Mobile Bay, to Dauphin Island, to Biloxi and Cat Island, and on to Pass Christian. The idea would be to pick a different great place every week or two, and go enjoy the new scenery with fellow Sunfishers. It would be totally informal.... just friends out sailing.

So... anybody else interested?

A sunfish/sailboat related question for anyone who can help........

We own a minifish, sunfish, laser clone and laser II.......

My daughter has been accepted into the USCG flight school run at NAS Pensacola. She wants to take one of the boats with her. Where do people around Pensacola tend to sail and what boat is best? She likes the mini as she can car top it and handle it by herself. The sunfish and laser pretty much need to be trailered in.

Does anyone know if the Navy has any boats there and/or are there any local clubs?

thanks for the help.......... Mike

1. U

My daughter has been accepted into the USCG flight school run at NAS Pensacola. She wants to take one of the boats with her. Where do people around Pensacola tend to sail and what boat is best? She likes the mini as she can car top it and handle it by herself. The sunfish and laser pretty much need to be trailered in.

Does anyone know if the Navy has any boats there and/or are there any local clubs?

Hi Mike:

Pensacola is great place to sail, and the NAS is basically right on the shores of "Big Lagoon", part of the intercoastal waterway. Generally, winds are from the west, and the chop might be described as fun, rather than challenging in that area. Opposite the NAS on the water is a pass, which allows access through the barrier islands to the Gulf itself, if one is so inclined.

Given your arsenal of sailboats, I would go with the Sunfish. It's stable, yet sporty. Just what the doctor ordered for the bays around Pensacola. As a bonus, it'll handle any chop the Gulf or Pensacola Bay may offer up occasionally, but it will be right at home in the more sheltered areas around the naval base, and narrow sections of the intercoastal.

The Laser will be a bit tippy in comparison to my way of thinking, and as such will require more "work" to get the best from it if the winds were to pick up. I offer that thought, since Pensacola Bay is right beside the NAS, as well. It's a fairly big bay, in the sense that I wouldn't want to have to swim across it. And if the wind is up, the ensuing chop may prove a challenge when it comes to righting the Laser, which again to my mind is more prone to tipping.

As an aside, I've been told by friends that the base offers access to sailboats, but I'm not sure which ones.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Mike,
I went through Navy flight training in 1983 at NAS Pensacola, at that time service members could keep boats on base at the base marina. They also had Sunfishes for rent back then. I currently work at NAS Patuxent River, Maryland and they have a similar deal.

Jim

Hola,
1. Mike, NAS Pensacola offers Sunfish, Lasers, Hunter 17s, Catalina 22s and a few others at the Bayou Grande Marina. They have 12 2011 Sunfish. It is a great operation and they have a NAS Pensacola Sailing Club. They also have locked dry storage and a dinghy rack. So I'd recommend she bring her Minifish and call ahead to see if they can loan her a dolly or if she needs to bring one.

2. Blue Heron, sorry I missed your original post, but we are interested in that idea. How about the "Gulf Coast Squadron?" That might fit on a hat :)

We have a great venue at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Island, on the Santa Rosa Sound side. There is lots of protected beach, big trailer lot, beach launching plus a nice boat ramp, and it is next to Juanas Pagoda, a cool restaurant and bar with volleyball, paddleboards etc...It is a lot quieter area than "Quietwater Beach" on Pensacola Beach, and weekdays are really sleepy. Along the lines of your idea, we are thinking of blockading Juanas next October...

Juanas

Kent

Back