The great Compass debate

Ok. Sailing in open water recently has left me of the opinion that a compass would be a useful tool for starting and upwind performance. I went to look at the pictures of the 2008 worlds and was surprised to see that there were quite a few of the top sailors that did not have one at all. So this leaves me with the following questions:

1. Compass? Yes or No

2. What type of compass/bracket are preferred? (between standard, tactical, double tactical)

Any help is appreciated

David

The trick to using a compass is learning to ignore it. It's a useful tool on some days, but often it results in you buring your head in the bottom of the boat and missing what's happening on the water.

The 2008 Open Worlds / Masters Worlds the compass were often of marginal value because of the swell, you often experienced a 30+ degree variation on your angle depending on what point of the large swell wave you were on. However, there were days during the masters where it paid big time and other days where it could result in significant losses because you potentially could miss new breeze. A compass makes making decisions about which way to go up a leg easier but it's not the only source of information.

I use a Silva 103 tactical compass, but have worked vary hard to make it a tool to use on certain days, despite it always being there when ever I'm training or racing.

Alan

Thanks. I like the tactical as it is straightforward (read less complicated than the others). Good info on not depending on it too much, I guess there is a balance on when to use it and I want to have that figured out before the Master Worlds in Nova Scotia. I didn't know how much variance there was in the swells.

Does it ever get in the way of adjusting the vang?

I think Alan has it pretty much spot on. I almost always sail with my compass (also the Silva 103R - I find it simpler than the colour coded 103RE), especially on open water, but try very hard to only pay attention to it at the right times.

A compass is good for telling you your sailing angle relative to some pre-determined median, and is also useful in determining that median. It can also help you quickly identify the biased end of the starting line and the degree of that bias, but there are other effective ways of doing that. That's about it.

It won't tell you which way the breeze will shift next, how long it will be before it shifts, or what breeze the rest of the fleet are sailing in. All critical pieces of information that you can only get with your head out of the boat and your mind working. So I would recommend using one, but with caution.

Dave,

I bought a Nexus 103R as well with the 360 degrees, not tactical. I haven't used it yet but I will be using it for NAs up at BCC.

Sorry, I should have specified the Silva 103R, the 103RE is to messy visually IMO.

I have my compass mounted on an aluminium plate that I cut out myself, the compass was positioned on the plate so that it didn't interfer with the vang. I've also recently mounted a starting watch on the plate (Optimum Time Series 3 Yacht).

Alan, any chance we can see a picture of your mount? I've been trying to build a mount like that.

Thanks

Great feedback. I would like to see the mount as well. From what I have seen there are just not that many choices with the pre fabricated mounts. It is either the layline
type ($42.95) or the APS Spider ($34.95), both of which look like they are directly in front of the vang control and would get in the way. Wondering if anyone had this problem or any other problem with control lines or centerboard bungee interfering with the compass or mount.

I could not find any pictures of the compass set up under racing conditions.

Attachments

• Layline laser compass bracket.jpg
    Layline laser compass bracket.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 177
  • APS laser compass bracket.jpg
    APS laser compass bracket.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 44
I can't see it being a big deal when you would be out hiking. As long as you aren't center line, you should be fine.

Ok. Sailing in open water recently has left me of the opinion that a compass would be a useful tool for starting and upwind performance. I went to look at the pictures of the 2008 worlds and was surprised to see that there were quite a few of the top sailors that did not have one at all. So this leaves me with the following questions:

1. Compass? Yes or No

2. What type of compass/bracket are preferred? (between standard, tactical, double tactical)

Any help is appreciated

David

Hi,
1.: Yes, a Compass is very helpful (on the windward legs, also. Not only for the best position at the starting line) as long the windshifts are noticeable (more than ~5 degrees on a 360 degrees nautical scale). I use the Silva 103R with the numeric "0"-"20" scale only. No need for the more expensive Silva 103 RE.

2.: If you plan to saw your own one, here is a TLF Thread how to do it selfmade. My newest one is made out of a tranparent plate (made out of transparent "PET" material), such one is used f.e. as a "carpet sever"-plate for office chairs with wheels (did cost 12 Euro, only ). Such a "PET"-plate is diameter 3-4 mm and much cheaper than a polycarbonat-fiberglass plate like (f.e.: "Makrolon") or the APS compass spider.
http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=1802

Ciao
LooserLu

Laser%20Compass%201.JPG

Laser%20Compass%202.JPG

Laser%20Compass%203.JPG

Laser%20Compass%204.JPG

Sorry it took so long, I'd completely forgotten about it.

1. The design is pretty simple, it's only tappered in forward of the compass, other than that it's rectangular, the cut outs for the cleat base etc were done by tracing around the actual fitting.

2. The compass is bolted directly onto the plate without using mounting bits that come with the compass.

3. I've placed some 4mm foam rubber under the compass plate, it just provides a little bit of protection to the gelcoat.

4. The forward edge of the compass is located 165mm away from the back edge of the mast step. I don't think this position is that critical, but the vang needs to easily clear the compass.

5. The thickness of the aluminium plate is 1.5mm. It can bend a little, but it's strong enough not to become permanently damaged.

Back