The Future of the Forum....A must read

I give up! My avatar goes from working to not working. BRB!

It looks like geocities doesn't allow you to call images off there server without it being an an html page on there server b/c if you do, you don't see the wonderful advertisements they place everywhere.

Just an idea.

Brad,

Take all this junk (including this e-mail) to COMPUTER HELP, please.

Thank you for taking the other comments positively, too. Apparently, you will need to BOLD or CAPITALIZE the request that "Chit Chat" is for stuff that does not fit anaywhere else.

"Kid" :) I mean Seth!

Send your Avatar image to me, if you want. I can put it on the drLaser server, give you the URL, and you can then edit your own profile to specify it.

Will get to reviewing your "Laser For Sale" e-mails a bit later.

Cheers,

Shevy Gunter
Editor, drLaser

Thanks Dr. You are a true friend. Man sorry I've been gone so long. I was at a good ole Fashion game of Hockey(we tied!)

[quote:3aead460e6="spot"]Holy shevy, You seem to be a bit uptight. In my experience forums tend to be places where people can shoot the $&*# about anything be it related to the general topis of the place or not. For example, the powdermag forum dicusses more than just skiing. We talk about kids, cars, mt. biking, work visas, movies, tities, sailing and just about anything any of us is interested in. There is howver a large amount of skiing discussion. If somone needs some info and they can't find it using the search (it is semi broken) someone else is glad to throw up a post with the info requested. There is a lot of friendly banter and good natured ribbing goes on. It is like hanging out with friends. It would be cool if this place could flow a little easier without someone getting pissed off and telling someone to take it elsewhere.

My two cents.[/quote:3aead460e6]

What you are saying is exactly what the Laser forum is sposed to become. A place where laser sailors can come together, talk about sailing, life, politics (which Shevy is completely wrong about and I am not talking about the class), your girl friend, whatever. It is a Forum COMMUNITY unlike the Laser email list, which is more direct, but there isn't the community feeling that builds up around a forum in time. Yes it requires 4 clicks, but these 4 clicks allow for you to read about my girl friend if you want, and if you don't then you won't. If you send that post to the mailing list you will get a harsh repsonce of Laser Sailing Only.
This is not going to change, at least not while I am in charge, and I have plenty of resources to create my own forum if it becomes necissary.

Shevy I will adjust things as I (and James) see fit. Thanks for your suggestions and we will take them into account if any changes are made to the forum. At this time we and very satisfied with the forum. Your post to the mailing list don't seem to have a real point besides bashing the forum and how aweful it really must be. You do not realize, but the extensive IP, host name, IP block, email, user, and other bans are all avaliable on the mailing list as well, it is obvious that these are not used, but they are avaliable.

Best and I hope every one enjoys to forum, it is a great resource for laser information, but also a place for laser sailors to get together and just talk.

Good Day!

[quote:4cf59f9571]4 clicks allow for you to read about my girl friend if you want[/quote:4cf59f9571]

Dude, I don't want to read about your GF I want to see nekid pics of her. :wink:

Ok the address for that is www.bradleys-really-hot-girl-friend.com

haha JUST Kiddin'

Shevy is going to get mad about this post.

I just read shevy's rant over in the mailing list. That guy needs to get broadband. He also needs to relax a little.

IMHO, It would also help if Bradley didn't take Shevy's comments so personally, and didn't make comments that make it appear like this is forum is "his" and he'll decide what to do with it, that's just pouring gas on Shevy's fire.....

Maybe I'm missing something like Bradley is getting paid to manage the forums (waste of class money IMHO)

Frankly I don't give a rat's a** which medium wins out and I'm tired of listening to the bickering about which is better. It's a wierd comment on the state of the laser class that this is the most popular thread.....

Yo Brad and Spot stop bashing Shevy!! He is my pal and a good friend!!

If you noticed the most recent post to the mailing list, I am no longer adding anything to the fire. I am not making any money either, but the forum is my project. I created it, got the code working, installed the suff required for it to work, and this thing is like my baby. Even though it isn't "mine" It was created without any one elses consent or help, but all the class people were very happy with it when it was completely installed and running. This is why I often refer to it as Mine b/c I have spend an enourmous amount of time making everything work, researching the best options, etc.

Sort of a FYI post, thanks to those who have support the forum!

[quote:2056df24d8="Bradley"]If you noticed the most recent post to the mailing list, I am no longer adding anything to the fire. I am not making any money either, but the forum is my project. I created it, got the code working, installed the suff required for it to work, and this thing is like my baby. Even though it isn't "mine" It was created without any one elses consent or help, but all the class people were very happy with it when it was completely installed and running. This is why I often refer to it as Mine b/c I have spend an enourmous amount of time making everything work, researching the best options, etc.

Sort of a FYI post, thanks to those who have support the forum![/quote:2056df24d8]

So there! Nener nener!

Good job Bradley. Now if only you can keep your forum free. Once it becomes a class members only forum will I still be able to lurk for free?

Dont you remember my idea to keep the forum free that they are going to use?

Well if not here it is: Ads!

When you get middle aged like me all kids must be punks :wink: (I'm a punka$$edmidleageguy to old people).

This summer and fall have been the windiest I can recall and my sail has been lost in the damn mail for 5 weeks. :cry:

Man how can you lose a sail in the mail. Why didn't the company send you a new one and when the old one pops up you give it back to them.

Just so you will know, the forum is soliciting sponsors, and if you know someone who is interested please pass my address onto them. I am especially looking for some sponsor that has some cool sailing merchandise to trade for adverts so that I can give away some cool stuff to the poeple with the most referers to the forum. There will be more info on this coming soon, so stay tuned.

Back