The Catalina 14.2 Is it safe ???

c14_Lou

After reading several posts and archived info, I have become somewhat wary of purchasing this boat.

Was looking over the 2006 and 2007 models today. Looked nice. Also looking at some used ... 2004 to 2000.

I am not interested in hiking out, and frankly the stories about turning turtle freaked me out.

Is going over and turning turtle a regular occurance? I have absolutely no interest if this boat model is so unstable.

Would be sailing on a lake, 7 to 14 mph wind was ideal for my old Luger Windward 16. But it is wearing out so I am looking for something new. Never tipped, and heeling was not recommended.

If I buy the Catalina 14.2, what am I getting into?

Lou

I think that with any 14 foot sail boat the possibility of capsizing is there. GO test sail it and then you will see how "tippy" it is. The boat was designed to be a family day racer.

Brian,

Well, that goes without saying.:)

If consumer reports gives a poor rating to a product, why would I want to go out and test it for myself if there are dozens of other products w/o poor ratings still to choose from.

What I am saying is that there seems to be a lot of poor ratings when it comes to tipping over. Is that true or is it a case of only the bad news being reported.

Lou

If you are overly concerned about capsizing, then get a boat with a keel.

The C14 has a centerboard, thus it is inherently more likely to capsize under poor helmsmanship than a keelboat. I have found the C14 to be an extremely forgiving boat in winds under 12 knots and have never come closing to capsizing.

I can’t see any reason a C14 would be any less stable compared with your Lugar.

CFOY,

I am glad to hear of your experience. I am wondering if my Luger actually does act like a keel boat since the centerboard -retractable- is very heavy, actually made of what appears to be cast iron.

So I very much appreciate your statement since all I have to go on is other C 14 posts. Can't take one for a spin right now. Still ice on the lakes.

Thanks,

Lou

I have had my boat for 3 years now and only capsized once and well, I probably should have not been sailing that day (25 kts. w/ 30 kt gusts). Otherwise I sail in anything form 2 to almost 20 knot wind with few problems, I find it very easy to manage with two people. However, the risk of capsize is real though remote in my opinion. Also, I have heard of people attaching Hobie mast floats to the masthead that may be something to consider if you are concerned about capsizing.

I too have capsized only once, and it was all my fault (a knot on the end of a too short main sheet - that's another story!) I highly recommend a ladder on the stern in case it happens to you, or you what to go for a swim, or pick up someone else in the water.

Decided I will upgrade my current boat. Luger Leeward 16. Thanks for all of your comments.

This ends my posts.

Lou

Back