The Boat Whisperer Series

Chainsaw

Brmmm Brmmm
Just spent the last week using the boat whisperer series as a training manual. It isn’t advanced stuff at all. It reminds people who have forgotten how to sail properly, how to sail again. The theory presented works on flat water lakes or on the sea. Waves have nothing to do with it – merely that with wind on the sea, you usually get waves. That it is all sea footage has nothing to do with it. As the wind increases, sailing theory remains the same. That’s the whole point. And once you understand that, it is as simple in 35knots as in 10 knots.

The series is “inspirational”. Often I did not hear something till I had watched each scene a few times and mixed it with time on the water. Sometimes I heard the words but couldn’t understand them for days. Then while watching something on sailing upwind, I could understand a piece that had eluded me on downwind sailing the previous day.

Whether you are a beginner or experienced, I would recommend this series.

(and yes I know there is a thread for this already, but I can't for the life of me get a post to stick in it. Keeps saying " cannot find phrase'expiry_time' " or something similar.)

good to hear .. i recently bought this set on ebay of all places.. am yet to find the time to watch it yet :rolleyes:

wish i had more free time

My sisters just bought me both DVDs for Christmas and I'm watching one of them now. So far I'm happy: I agree that there's nothing earth-shattering here, but all the different camera angles make this stuff much easier to understand than on a flat page in a book.

Now I need to get out in the water and see how well I can duplicate some of this without the movie playing.

The best thing I've picked up so far is the part, "sailing downwind in a blow". I'ver really paid attention to making the small leeward turn to steady the boat when it wants to roll to weather in a breeze. It does not feel right when you do it, but the boat does stabalize quickly.

Back