Thanksgiving Plans?

WestCoast

For the first time since the start of summer and this crazy company, I'm going to be taking a couple of days in a row off.

Flying to Tahoe area to meet up with the family and RELAX.

Been working 6-7days a week here since June, and aside from a few regattas I've travelled to, haven't had squat for time off.

Am very very excited to be able to relax and even go on a hike and not think about Lasers for a few days!

-----
What is everyone else up to these holidays?

I'll be heading up to Atlanta to see family Late wednesday night - Friday Morning (Which, believe me, is plenty of time to spend with the relatives) Eat some turkey and watch football, not to bad of a holiday except for the 10 little kiddies running around screaming the whole time.

haha, it's funny how we look forward to visiting family. Then after 4 hours, are counting down to get away from them!

ahhhhhhhh, the Holidays!

There's a nice contingency of wild T-bird up here by the palisades. My father in law and I were thinking about going out on Thanksgiving in the AM and getting a fat one with his pea shooter.

Then deep frying him. ;)

-K

My son (the one with the tattoo--ha, ha) will be home from the Navy for a few days, so I'm very excited. Mom and my brother and sister-in-law will be here too, but just for the day, so it won't be too nerve wracking. I just got back from a mega trip to the grocery store. Now to get cooking. There will be no little kiddies, only Democrats and Republicans in the same room :((. Whoops, that all I have to say about politics!

Merrily

Merrily said:
We just got a deep fryer on spec. Hope the bird comes out well. Have you fried a turkey before? Any special tips?

M

Never done it before. My brother in laws' ex is a chef and came over a few years ago and did it. All I can say is that it was amazing. I think I gained a happy 10 pounds over that weekend. I've been dreaming about it ever since. :) If I remember correctly she just dropped it into a vat and or... deep fryer of grease, and let it fry.... ;) ..... man I'm drooling just thinking about it.

-K

Had some fried turkey today at the company Thankgiving Lunch and here are some general suggestions:

Cook for 10 minutes plus 3 minutes per pound in a boiling pot of Penut Oil. After done cooking wrap in alluminum foil and allow to sit for 10 minutes or so. This allows the inside to cook a little more without burning the outside.

Do not put the turkey in frozen! It will cause the grease to go everywhere and possibly start a fire. Also it will be almost impossible to get the inside cooked without burning the outside of the turkey.

You may also want to inject some marinades into the turkey today or tomorrow to add flavor.

Good luck,

I went to the keys and SCUBA dived. The water was almost 80 and everyone was complaining, this is warmer than it gets at home. The divemaster on one of my dives was wearing a 7mm full wetsuit. Then I got to go back home to a low of 16 degrees.

Pop-n-Jack said:
IThen I got to go back home to a low of 16 degrees.

And sadly, you mean Fahrenheit.

My husband deep fried that turkey, 3 and 1/2 minutes per pound, which is less than the length of time recommended by Bradley for an 11 pound turkey, and it was overcooked. Still juicy, but a little tough. So there is an art to this, especially when you have to cook it outside because the huge vat of peanut oil is a fire hazard, and it is literally freezing outside and the wind is howling. The meal was still delicious anyway, and the various political forces avoided the topic alltogether, just like the Open Forum. My son's tattoo is kind of nice, but don't tell him I said that.

Merrily

Back