Thank you for help and getting boat sail ready questions

Thread starter #25
Thank you for the compliments and also thank you all for the help getting me back Sunfishin. Being sail champion I don't know yet, but I sure as hell will enjoy sailing. Will be going to other places with the trailer to discover sailing curacao. I already have some other spots in mind.

Thread starter #26
For recreational sailing Put the gooseneck around 24 inches and the halyard about 60 inches down from the top of the upper spar (5-6) sail rings down. As you're tying the halyard it will be close to being lined up with the aft edge of the cockpit. Then you rig will look lie the picture and you can adjust to suit your wind. This rig leaves room to comfortably tack wearing a life jacket.
Signal Charli I noticed you gave me the tip to put the halyard about 60 inches down from top of the upper spar (5-6 sail rings down, but I noticed the amount of sail rings I have on my sail are 17 instead 14 as I can count on the pictures of your Sunfish.
14sailrings.png

I assume this is because I have a race sail. Should I still try to put it at 60 inches. I also noticed the previous owner put the on the upper boom where the halyard is connected duct tape. They told me it was to prevent the halyard from moving. It looks like the duct tape has been there for quite a while now. No idea if this is a good idea or not. But I am thinking about putting it at the recommended 60 inches and taking the duct tape off. The lower boom is a bit low if I am not racing anyway. Will the hallyard hold and not move if I connect it with the recommended knot or should I put duct tape there 2?

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
The duct tape helps to prevent the halyard from sliding on the upper spar (gaff). Just replace it once in a while. I have three such pieces on my gaff so that I can attach the halyard at three different locations, depending on the conditions.

Thread starter #28
Thank you Wavedancer will do this to. I also thought it would be better. I continue to ask questions. As you know I have the following main sheet swivel block
IMG-20130318-01348.jpg
I was wondering if using a spring on it is recommended?

Also anybody has recommendations of a perfect sized watertight bag that would fit inside the compartment of the boat to travel with stuff?

signal charlie

Staff member
Lase Performance does recommend 3 wraps of electrical tape between the 9th and tenth sail ring counting up from the tack. You can play with the location of the halyard and gooseneck to suit your preference. LP also cautions to not tie the sail up too high, that could concentrate too much pressure on top part of mast and cause it to bend. And to visit sunfish class.org, which will lead you back to this forum and its knowledge base :)

Lots of good pics in this Laser Performance rigging guide and only one typo: http://na.laserperformance.com/images/stories/pdfs/sunfish/sunfishrigging.pdf

For race rigging, I'd check with this crowd for the most up to date info. I am not a racer, but it sounds like there are big differences depending on the type of daggerboard you have.

Signal Charli I noticed you gave me the tip to put the halyard about 60 inches down from top of the upper spar (5-6 sail rings down, but I noticed the amount of sail rings I have on my sail are 17 instead 14 as I can count on the pictures of your Sunfish.
View attachment 11151

I assume this is because I have a race sail. Should I still try to put it at 60 inches. I also noticed the previous owner put the on the upper boom where the halyard is connected duct tape. They told me it was to prevent the halyard from moving. It looks like the duct tape has been there for quite a while now. No idea if this is a good idea or not. But I am thinking about putting it at the recommended 60 inches and taking the duct tape off. The lower boom is a bit low if I am not racing anyway. Will the hallyard hold and not move if I connect it with the recommended knot or should I put duct tape there 2?

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Thank you Wavedancer will do this to. I also thought it would be better. I continue to ask questions. As you know I have the following main sheet swivel block
View attachment 11153
I was wondering if using a spring on it is recommended?

Also anybody has recommendations of a perfect sized watertight bag that would fit inside the compartment of the boat to travel with stuff?
1. Most people do use a spring to make the block stand up. This 'system' will help with sheeting as well.

2. I just have a bag with food and water in the storage compartment. I usually sail in relatively flat water and the bag tends to stay there even if I capsize, but no guarantees! Wave action (Curacao + big breeze) may wash something out of the storage area, unless tied down in some way.

Thread starter #32
Hi all,

Thanks again for your help getting my boat sail ready. Been sailing a couple times, also at westpoint but yesterday I went sailing with somebody along @ Spaanse Water and I took the risk of taking my phone with GPS with me. This is the result. It was a lot fun with lots of wind. Even went a little bit on the sea but I went back because I thought the waves were a bit to high ;)
ditancesailing.jpg

danpal

It looks like the app is Endomondo. It's probably very similar to RunKeeper which is what I use for running. It uses GPS to track where you've gone, the calories you've expended, split times, etc...

It looks like the app is Endomondo. It's probably very similar to RunKeeper which is what I use for running. It uses GPS to track where you've gone, the calories you've expended, split times, etc...
thanks Danpal. I do have the RunKeeper app. this one just looked like it had a "sailing" specific activity.

cheers,
tag

Thread starter #36
very cool! what app did you use to record your route?
My2Fish is correct, the app is named Endomundo endomondo and indeed it has a specific "Sailing" specific activity. It is possible to pick many activities. I believe it adjusts the way it records and shows the distance/speed etc with knots. I used it on my blackberry (ugh i know blackberry suck but if it drowns i dont care ;) ) Have to say I did not pres pause button or stop the recording when I was chilling a bit on a platform. From beginnen till end it was recording. The test works so I am going to use this more often.

Thread starter #37
Well after sailing with my Sunfish many I have an issue that annoys me a lot. Somebody explained me with words how to fix this issue but of course I can't remember all of it precisely hopefully you guys can help me out with pictures or animations.

After raising the sail by pulling down on the halyard until the upper boom is right against the top of the mast leading the tail of the halyard through the main halyard fairlead on the deck and tying off the halyard to the main halyard cleat I notice after sailing for a while the upper boom slowly goes away from the top of the mast. This must be because the main halyard gets wet and expands in my view. Most of the time in such a amount I am afraid to break the mast. Most of the time I have to stop sailing and do everything all over again taking me a lot of trouble.

Somebody told me there is a way to avoid this, but words are not the same as pictures or written instructions. Can anybody suggest something that could avoid the upperboom going away from the top of the mast every time?

PS creating a vang with the tail of my halyard does not help.

Attachments

L&VW

I'd expect that using a vang would encourage the halyard to stretch.

After sailing a while, a certain amount of slack generally will appear. While it's annoying, I just re-tighten the halyard again. :rolleyes:Sometimes, the sail clip nearest and below the halyard attachment will interfere with that adjustment. Change that clip to a carefully-measured length of sail tie.

Starting out, make sure that the mast is rotated to "aim" the halyard at the upper spar. Another consideration is the diameter and type of line that the halyard is made of. There are non-stretch lines available, but they are costly. :(

Your mast step should hold water with the mast removed; otherwise, there may be a serious issue at the base of the mast and the step. :confused:

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
A non-stretch halyard might solve your 'problem'. The post above mentions this as well.
For instance, Amsteel Blue (from Samson) is nice.

Also, make sure that the halyard does not slip on the upper spar.

Thread starter #40
Thnak you for the tips, what would be the best place to buy the non stretch halyard in us. I will have to ship it. Also what would be the best spec for this hallyard?