terrible sailor in boston

philip godfroy

I have recently aquired a sunfish and have attempted sailing in a small lake but I can't find wind direction, tack or even keep the boat upright (I am pretty good at righting it after a capsize though). I don't dare attempt larger waters, but I would like to sail boston harbor or charles river. Anyone interested in private lessons or know where I should look for them? Thank you. :)

philip godfroy said:
I have recently aquired a sunfish and have attempted sailing in a small lake but I can't find wind direction, tack or even keep the boat upright (I am pretty good at righting it after a capsize though). I don't dare attempt larger waters, but I would like to sail boston harbor or charles river. Anyone interested in private lessons or know where I should look for them? Thank you. :)

What about that public sailing facility on the Boston side of the Charles? I hope it still exists....

Amen on the book suggestion. You should also buy a basic sailing book to have as a reference. After you learn the basics from the book, actual sailing will be your final, best teacher. Be prepared to get dumped some more but you will soon be able to avoid it.

Fred

I learned to sail just using a book and I did it on a very fast catamaran. There are so many great books out there. I recommend Sailing for Dummies and the more through Annapolis book of seamanship. I wish I had learned from these books.

Here is one quick lesson:

If you are going to flip, let out the main sheet (the line attached to the sail). Or steer in to the wind. You will never flip.

Matt

If you are north of boston I would suggest Lawrence community boating. They have a huge Sunfish fleet and the price is right.

Books are for sure the best suggestion. Try too not to head off on the day's first sail with the wind, do the tough thing first and tack until you need to turn back and then run with the wind but don't go so far that you'll have to walk her back if you can't tack. Just play it safe over and over, tack out and run back, tack out etc, gotta remember too about the dead zone, you can't tack on a direct line into the wind but need to work 45 degrees on either side of the winds direction. Expect to get wet!

thank you all for the tips. I did buy a book and it has a pretty large chapter dedicated to small boat sailing. I Just came back from the lake, which was very windy, and did not capsize. Thanks again :)

Back