Tennis elbow from sailing

ConnorP

I've developed a relentless case of tennis elbow (tendinitis) from sailing over teh past few months. I've been following a stretching routine that has helped a bit. I've also been taking a product called Elbow Revive that has worked wonders (in conjunction with the stretches). I'm back to sailing again, but don't want this injury to return. I'm continuing to take Elbow Revive to prevent it, but does anyone have any other tips on keeping this pain in the ass (elbow?) injury away for good?

I can't tell you how to fix your elbow or how to keep it fixed but I can offer one word of advice. Not sure why your arm is having problems but it is probably due to improperly working the main sheet. It helps to keep your arm straight as much as you can and use your back and legs when possible. I often see people holding pressure on the main sheet with their arm bent. This causes strain on your elbow as well as sore muscles at the end of the day. Cleat the main sheet when possible while being ready to release it in an instant when needed. If you must have the sheet un-cleated then set the sail and cleat the main sheet for a second to adjust your arm where it is straight and them release the cleat. I understand that this is not always practice but most of the time it works. If you need to sheet in you can get more travel if you start with your arm straight. If you need to sheet out simply lean forward or let the sheet slip in your hand. Once your sail is where you want it do the cleat - adjust arm - un-cleat exercise again. By doing this you can more comfortably lift that glass of wine at the end of the day while you tell sea stories that no one believes :eek:

Good luck; let us know if this helps.

I've actually taken Elbow Revive for tendonitis and had very good results. I had similar elbow problems because I always used my dominant hand for everything. I found, in addition to supplementing and icing, that if I praciticed using my non-dominant hand as much as the other, the stress really was reduced.

Actually, I do have a possible solution to reduce the pain. I have used Deep Blue Rub by doterra with very good results. This is a creamy natural oil that rubs into the skin providing very quick results. I have a local supplier but don't think the stuff is sold in stores. The product is sold through individuals. The tubes I have list a contact number 800-411-8151 where I suspect they can put you in contact with someone in your area. I do NOT sell the stuff but I love the relief it provides.

Give a tube a try and let us know if it works for you...

Actually, I do have a possible solution to reduce the pain. I have used Deep Blue Rub by doterra with very good results. This is a creamy natural oil that rubs into the skin providing very quick results. I have a local supplier but don't think the stuff is sold in stores. The product is sold through individuals. The tubes I have list a contact number 800-411-8151 where I suspect they can put you in contact with someone in your area. I do NOT sell the stuff but I love the relief it provides.

Give a tube a try and let us know if it works for you...
It's available on amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/doTERRA-3890-Deep-Blue-Rub/dp/B005MQ2BQI/ref=sr_1_1/179-0819935-8799930?ie=UTF8&qid=1435715851&sr=8-1&keywords=deep blue rub doterra

Just thought I'd throw an update out there after a great summer of sailing. Back to 100% and feeling strong. Thanks to the stretches/eccentric exercises, occasional icing, and supplementing with Elbow Revive. No problems in the past several weeks!

Back