Telltales Placement Question

andyatos

I've read a lot about telltale placement on this forum and elsewhere. And I've seen all kinds of positions on videos I've watched.

One set up that seems common is a triangle of 3 sets of telltales somewhere above the window. I can see the point of the bottom 2 sets of the triangle. The ones further forward show early progression of the detachment of the flow from the mast, the set further towards the leech is better trimming in waves, etc.

The one set in the triangle I don't understand are the second set further up the luff above the lower forward set. This higher set are often no more than a couple feet above the lower set.

I can understand having a higher set that is 6-8 feet higher in order to tell you this, but not just a couple feet higher.

Can someone give me a quick explanation as to the purpose of the triangle of telltales that I so often see on Lasers? I don't plan on putting such a triangle on my new Intensity sail. I'm just curious.

Thanks,

- Andy

I've got a leech tale aswell hanging from the top batten pocket, so useful...

Oh it's max draft area through there..

There is the single standard location for the stock tell tale. They obviously chose that spot for a reason. I put one there. One above it but closer to the mast and another one at the same height but further back in the middle of the sail. You end up with an upside down isosceles(equidistant) triangle with the sides being 12"-16". This lets you see the change in flow across the draft as opposed to a one point in the draft. The original telltale is already up high enough that I prefer to put the extra two above it rather than below it which would be very close to the window.

Like wise one leach telltale on the upper batten.

I believe that the one closest to the mast has helped me to point a few degrees higher at good speed. I think its easy to be footing with one telltale when you think you are pointing.

I think the Rooster guy has clustered his triangle with the center being the original tell tale. I think this would be as effective.

I use the Rooster positioning of tell tales with an additional 2 up the luff of the sail so I can be sure the flow is starting correctly.

I find I can never get on with a leech tell tale and spend more time looking at it than sailing so I usually ignore it or don't put one on.

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a photo of a telltale arrangement that I had the question about. It's in a pdf file on telltales by Steve Cockerill.

Notice the two telltales that are closest to the luff. One set right above the other. They can't be more than a foot apart. With them so close together, why would you have 2 sets? What different information would one set (that's less than a foot higher or lower than the other) tell you?

Now, if you had one of these sets 3-4 feet higher than the other, then I can see the purpose. That much higher set would be able to provide you different information in terms of the luff bubble progression if you have too much or too little twist.

By the same token, I understand the purpose of the single set in the photo that is further aft of the luff. But not two sets that are the same distance from the luff and only less than a foot apart.

- Andy

I don't think the Rooster setup is ideal. The telltales are too close together. He has essentially surrounded the standard placement. Another arrangement would be a diagonal line(not a triangle) going thru the standard placement with one placed closer to the mast and one in the middle. Maybe 30 degree angle 16" apart.

Does anyone have an older sail that has the single factory installed tell tale?

Back