telltales and mastfloat suggestions really work

harleycaptain

I also bought the hobie cat mast float from my local hobie dealer. He charged me about 90.00 plus shipping. I started to try to fabricate a wood piece to fit in to the top of the mast and between the metal pieces on the bottom of the float, but went another route. If you simply grind off about a quarter inch from either edge of the float mounting plates, the float will slide into the top of the mast and the halyard pulley ends up right in between the mounts. Mine fits nice and tight, and is removeable just by "walking" it out. I like this arrangement as I can leave it off in mild winds where there is minimal risk of capsizing. I plan on running some galvanized wire under the fload mounts and then looping the wire around the bolt and nut that holds the halyard pulley in the top of the mast for a more permanent installation. Of course, I haven't had the pleasure of "using" the float, as I always double check that stern plug.

Another tip I have read somewhere here is using vcr tape as telltales about four to five feet up the shrouds. I tried that today and it really helped me determing wind direction. A beginner like me can get the boat moving, and think we are sailing at optimum, but the telltales taught me that I was out of trim most of the time. I have a pinched nerve in my neck, so not having to look up at the telltale on the first batten is a relief.

I have read all the manual, and practice, and re read when I come home to see what I am doing right and what I can do better. I am not sure what some of the tips mean as the terminology is greek to me(still.)

One thing I would like to ask is about raising the centerboard. Since I sail by myself most of the time, I found that the only way I can raise it is to put my foot on it and push it forward and then bend over and tighten the sheets on it. I do attach the bungee shock cord to it, so that is why it is so tight. Any suggestions?

I changed my jib leads to 1/4 inch and like the results. They don't get hung up as much and are easier to cleat quickly.

When tacking, I have found that I like to leave the jib cleated until the bow crosses over so that the wind helps push the bow. Then uncleat and take in the slack. My first sailboat did not have a jib and I always stalled and could not get the tack completed.
Is this the proper way to do a tack?

Rather than fill this post with more novice questions, I would like to start a thread where novices like myself can ask those "dumb" nagging questions. I live in Galt(near Sacramento) and sail single handed at Rancho Seco Lake.

Oh, one more, what is that humming noise when you get up to speed close hauled?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I have three sailing books and none of them really get into the micro advice.

Back