tell-tales on a radial

rtdanforth

Any suggestions for where to place the tell-tales on a radial rig? Should they be approximately the same as on a standard rug? (I just purchased a radial sail and lower mast section, but haven't used them yet.)

Thanks.

"Should they be approximately the same as on a standard rug?"

I'm not sure where you would put tell tales on a rug... ;^)

though they definitely would go in about the same place on a standard sail.

Perhaps a standard "rug" suggests a magic carpet ride, on which tell-tales might be useful . . .

Sorry about that. I meant standard "rig."

Is there any reason to think that the air flow over a radial would differ from the air flow over a standard sail?

Thanks, again.

it is a bit different due to the radial cut of the sail. but i am not sure in what areas it differs other than smaller measurments.

rtdanforth said:
Perhaps a standard "rug" suggests a magic carpet ride, on which tell-tales might be useful . . .

Sorry about that. I meant standard "rig."

Is there any reason to think that the air flow over a radial would differ from the air flow over a standard sail?

Thanks, again.

ha ha
didn't mean to sound so glib
airflow should be about the same.
doa percentage on the full rug & correlate it down to the radial...

easier yet... eyeball it & go sailing.

It doesn't particuarly matter, the airflow changing won't affect where you put them. Make sure you have at least two sets about a foot back from the luff, and a leech tale. I have three leech tales and three sets of two luff tales. when you're doing it, make sure to line the teltales up with the foot, not the luff.

Back