Class Politics Television and Sailing

How should ISAF change Sailboat racing for TV

• Pay the viewers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gouvernail

Super Opinionated and Always Correct
Every four years the Olympics rolls around and the politicians who control sailing at the international level feel compelled to "Do something for sailing."
It seems those politicians are under the impression there is something very important about sailing having more television exposure.
So, what do you think about sports and TV especially with respect to sailing? Should / can the sailing game be changed so it can be better played for viewers of the electronic screen?

Well the Ultimate 30's couldn't do it in the US with the Ziplock series even with Plough miked up and cussing a lot on the Chattanooga Chew boat. The 40 foot cats couldn't do it with the ProSail series and one great loudmouth sailor, (Blackaller- who I loved). With those series we got speed, foul language and interesting characters, but still no dice for the public interest. I think fistfights and contact were the missing elements that could have mainstreamed our sport! Oh, and lets not forget steriod use! Really, I do not think our sport can not be made TV friendly enough for the "couch potato" to understand or care to watch.

Rob B said:
Really, I do not think our sport can not be made TV friendly enough for the "couch potato" to understand or care to watch.

Just out of curiosity, was there also well-done commentary that explained what was going on? If you don't know about tactics and strategy, it wouldn't look like there was much to it.

Merrily

The last time I ever saw anyone do a good job of commentary of tactics to the general public was in 1987 when Gary Jobson stood in a swimming pool in slacks, tie and sportcoat using model 12 meters. He was explaining how match racing boats cover each other. Only problem was the telecast was around 2 AM EST. Now a days its all computer generated info and I think harder to follow.

Re: Television and Sailing (from the shore of the Europeans)

gouvernail said:
...So, what do you think about sports and TV especially with respect to sailing? ...
Hi,
gov, ask Chas what I have posted him in Fall/Winter 2004/2005 and he may is kind (he is very busy) to give you a copy of that and give this to the presents from Santa Claus(e) for you. Then, aft you had enjoyed what the LooserLu had posted to Chas, I want to hear your opinion again to this headline ;)

The Europeans are able to get some payfree-TV information about sailing weekly at the “Wednesday-Selection” of “Eurosport”-Satellite-TV.
F.e.: Last week, they did broadcast a nice 30min-report (with really very good reports about strategy and tacktics) of the so called “Swedish-Match-Race”-Series at the regatta at Lake St. Moritz/SUI. In the final match-race, Ed Baird battled with his team of Alinghi against Mr. Mendelblatt and his guys. This report was in the viewers-quality like to be at the judges boat....:) Like in the German saying (translated 1:1 in advanced English For Runaways) “ The young rabbits may run faster, but the old rabbits know the best short-cuts” Eddie won at least (Ainslie got 7th). I can not say, that we here at planet-Europe are not served good by TV for our sailing-sport. It (sailing in general) is even not in the Top Ten of the popularity-list of sports in Europe.

Here we have (had) a nice Satellite-TV-Channel called “Sailing Channel” (http://italia.sailingchannel.it/index.php). It was possible to see it pay-free for many years. 24 hours sailing in best quality.... imagine that. Since January 5th 2005 this channel has moved to the pay-TV-net “SkyTV” from Italy (http://www.skytv.it/GuidaTV/LaProgrammazione/_Sport.htm) and you need a smart-card (costs 8 Euro per month = ~9,5 US$) and an extra set-top-box for the encrypting. :-((

From VOR 2005 I know, that the reports went nearly comlpete to the Internet. Nothing!! on TV (only the verbal information, that they are on the way..)! At the former VOR’s, our public-TV (available payfree (for non-Germans) at Europe via Satellite) made 45min-background-reports aft each stage and a comprehensive 60-min-report aft the finish. If this GER-TV (ARD/ZDF) do it for this race is open.
Ciao
LooserLu

Re: Television and Sailing (from the shore of the Europeans)

LooserLu said:
The Europeans are able to get some payfree-TV information about sailing weekly at the “Wednesday-Selection” of “Eurosport”-Satellite-TV.
F.e.:....the so called “Swedish-Match-Race”-Series...
One addition: actually (Nov-29th to Dec 04th) the SMR-Series is at Malaysia at Kuala Terengganu. There they (Ainslie&Co, Baird&Co, Dickson&Co and the others from "AC") race with the "Foundations 36"-boats at the "Monsoon-Cup".
Eurosport makes a 2 hours extra-report (if you receive via analog-Satellite ASTRA, you can choose between several languages for the commentary). The report starts at 07:30 a.m. Berlin-time/"CET" (=GMT+1).
Ciao
LooserLu

Sailing on TV would be nice to see.

I think the only thing that has a chance is close quarter, tight racing in some solid breeze.

Get some close calls, some people spinning 720s. Get some wipe outs off the wind.

If you could get up close, it would be pretty exciting even for the outsider.

---------
I've actually watched Poker on TV, and I don't know how to play *well, I sort of do now...*

Good announcers, lots of people right there obviously working hard. Paint drying could be made cool with the right production. maybe

I sometimes watch sailing on "TV." Although its actually online.
They have a wide variety of programs from big boats to lasers.
You just have to create an account and then you can watch all of the sailing you want for free.

www.t2p.tv

the commentary isn't that bad either

Back