Teflon Disc for Mast Base

Woodwind

Since we’re on the topic of mast bases...I purchased one of those Teflon discs that you insert into the “mast hole” ( what is the proper term ?)
Think I got it from Intensity, it sounded like a good idea to stop sand from grinding the base of the hole (just in case I miss a few grains of sand) and also allowing the mast to rotate more freely.
i’ve used high modulus plastic to construct bushings on my big boat rudder, and It makes a big difference.

The Teflon disc is too large to slip down there in the mast hole perfectly on my boat, I think I’m an 80’s something model Acquired three months ago.
Ended up making a little pleat on it self to fit down in the bottom, but it doesn’t seem to be affecting the base seating properly or rotating.
So I’ve left it in there I’m just going to try it out. But if I did it in the future I would trim it so that the diameter is a little bit smaller before I dropped it in. Now I’ve got to figure out how to retrieve it If I do. Some long nosed something tool. Next time I’m going to cut a hole in the bottom of a plastic bottle and use a string to hold a disc up against the bottle to push it down evenly or use a piece of PVC pipe.

Maybe use the mast base as the template for diameter size? I haven’t asked Jim Myers at Intensity yet I’m sure he has the answer if they’re are different diameters of disks or if I should be cutting it down.
Since it’s already in there I’m going to leave it for a while and see what it looks like after I sail it for a while.

Had another rip roaring sail yesterday the wind was up, and I was really accelerating in the gusts probably 18 yesterday ...
these Sunfish really move out don’t they!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!! :D

My hands were tired from not having anything on which to cleat off, I just have a carbo ratchet block, but I’m too chicken to cleat off anyway in the gusty wind that I’m sailing in right now. I now understand that it could be very easy to capsize if you missed uncleating on time. Too cold right now to practice capsizing :D

P.S. Probably is a good idea to flush that mast base hole out periodically huh. I lucked out I got one that holds water indefinitely so it’s integrity is intact, so I should probably protect it as someone obviously has done for many years for this particular hull. Respect

Last edited:
Yes, no need for such a disk on a Sunfish.
Glad you had a good workout; 10-15 mph breeze is just about perfect for the more accomplished sailors.
BTW, You are wise not to cleat off under such conditions.
Gloves or a thicker sheet might help your hands.

Dang!!! I just bought one of those disk from intensity also thinking the same thing. Havnt tried to put it in at all yet on my project.
Soooooo I should just toss it? I wasted cost? (Notice my nick name lol)

Dang!!! I just bought one of those disk from intensity also thinking the same thing. Havnt tried to put it in at all yet on my project.
Soooooo I should just toss it? I wasted cost? (Notice my nick name lol)
It’s listed as being for the Laser and Sunfish on the website, I emailed Jim to ask if he would send me one for the Sunfish. I think it’s going to help not wear the base of the mast step for me, because I launch from a sandy beach.
it’s so thin it doesn’t really change the height of the mast either. My Sunfish is a new boat to me I flushed the mast step out yesterday and was surprised at what came out even after having washed the boat prior.

I think maybe the laser mast rotates, I’m not sure?
I know the Sunfish mast rotates a little bit on tacks but maybe the pros on this forum will weigh in.
I will let you know what I hear, otherwise possibly you could cut it to the diameter of your mast base....
Once you drop it in you’ll forget about it anyway. :D

Since we’re on the topic of mast bases...I purchased one of those Teflon discs that you insert into the “mast hole” ( what is the proper term ?)
Some long nosed something tool. Next time I’m going to cut a hole in the bottom of a plastic bottle and use a string to hold a disc up against the bottle to push it down evenly or use a piece of PVC pipe.

Maybe use the mast base as the template for diameter size? I haven’t asked Jim Myers at Intensity yet I’m sure he has the answer if they’re are different diameters of disks or if I should be cutting it down.
Since it’s already in there I’m going to leave it for a while and see what it looks like after I sail it for a while.

Had another rip roaring sail yesterday the wind was up, and I was really accelerating in the gusts probably 18 yesterday ...
these Sunfish really move out don’t they!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!! :D

My hands were tired from not having anything on which to cleat off, I just have a carbo ratchet block, but I’m too chicken to cleat off anyway in the gusty wind that I’m sailing in right now. I now understand that it could be very easy to capsize if you missed uncleating on time. Too cold right now to practice capsizing :D

P.S. Probably is a good idea to flush that mast base hole out periodically huh. I lucked out I got one that holds water indefinitely so it’s integrity is intact, so I should probably protect it as someone obviously has done for many years for this particular hull. Respect
Below is pictured a double-jointed needle-nose pliers—about $15 at Amazon.

A well-worn example, I haven't tried it for the task being described, but the extra joint allows a long-distance retrieval.

Fullscreen capture 3112021 52204 PM.bmp.jpg

Think I got it from Intensity, it sounded like a good idea to stop sand from grinding the base of the hole (just in case I miss a few grains of sand) and also allowing the mast to rotate more freely.

The disk will 'cover up' dirt/sand that might have accumulated. Moreover, if it fits tightly, it might be difficult to remove.
I second a good wash out of the mast step every so often.

Below is pictured a double-jointed needle-nose pliers—about $15 at Amazon.

A well-worn example, I haven't tried it for the task being described, but the extra joint allows a long-distance retrieval.

View attachment 44394
Now there’s a tool I don’t have!! Looks sinister or bird like.
Looks like it will do the job though.

I think I will trim the circle until it is just smaller than the mast base cap and permanently affix it to the bottom of the base cap so when the mast is removed each time it is pulled out, and then the step is flushed there is no chance of sand being trapped under it and defeating the original purpose of protecting the base of the step. The mast rotates very little but it does and it rocks very minor amount. All causing possible wear in the white very fine powdery sand environment of the northern gulf coast where I am. Does anyone see an issue with this approach? Thoughts?

Po-man, the idea behind the disk is to have a protector in the mast step so the mast based rotates on it it, not against the bottom of the mast step. If you glue the Teflon to the base (and yes, there are glues for Teflon) you have negated the benefit of the disk, and the mast will again be grinding against the bottom of the step. The Teflon will have less friction, but any sand or other stuff in there will grind against the bottom of the step, vs grind against the Teflon.

Got it beldar. Thanks for waking my old ass up. Lol ...I have no idea what I was thinking...not physics that's for sure. Probably breakfast.

I’d try to fix a screw to the end of a stick, dowel, handle or length of pipe of some sort. Then use this to retrieve the disc by sliding it down the mast step and screwing into the disc. Once a couple threads are through the disc slowly work it out.
Worth a shot, if you dead set on removing it.

I put these in both of my Sunfish. The first one went in okay on my new Sunfish. I sent one to Wisconsin last summer for the Oldfish and bent the edges up a before installing it. I figured it would help a bit. Both my boats will probably outlast me either way. Here's a photo of the Old fish when it wasn't so old in 1983.

Attachments

• 20200729_112020.jpg
    20200729_112020.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 27

Back