teenager sailing standard laser

No

Of course there's lots more data that's needed to tell if it's going to be easy, hard, enjoyable, PITB, etc. The pros are gonna want to know if you are 175 pounds, if you are a perfect physical specimen, if your skill level is good/better/best, if you sail in 3 knots or 30, if you sail in the high seas or on a pond, if you plan to race or just wanna mess around, if you can swim, if you know how to get out of a capsize, if you can sail at all.

My 9 yr old grandson has sailed my full rig. It was light wind.

When I was a teen there was only 1 rig, (no one really considered the M rig). I sailed it in all kinds of wind and am still here.....I also walked to school barefoot, in the snow, uphill, both ways!

And you carried both of your sister's books too, and kept them out of the snow. I know I did... :rolleyes:

Yeah, we all know about those terrible North Carolina snows!

Seriously, whether or not a teen can sail a full rig depends on the factors already listed. So the answer is, tell us more about your situation so we can give an informed answer.

You'll have fun till it hits somewhere over 15. Then it'll be a struggle to keep it up. It'll sure tune your sailing skills though. And it'll be fun no matter what as long as you play safe.

I started out daysailing on the std as a teen, you will have a tough time racing if you're light and/or short but just sailing and learning won't be a problem

I'm 17 and only 130 lbs and I have sail a standard rig laser all the time. The heaviest wind speeds I've sailed in have probably been around 15 knots and I did just fine. I have only been sailing by myself for the past 2 or 3 years so I only have minimal experience under my belt especially with a laser because I have only been sailing it for a couple of months.

I am 150 points 17 and 6'3''. I have been racing a laser at a high level for 3 years now and as I have gained weight I have been doing better and better until now when I am winning everything so I am switching to a Full rig in the winter season. I recommend you sail a radial if you have access to a rig to get experience and learn to control the boat according to your 120 pounds. I started racing a radial at 98 pounds so there is no saying you cant sail a full rig at 120 pounds...

I'm 16 and 115 lbs and I sail a full rig. It's not really too bad, but as some other people said, it will get pretty hard to sail over 15ish knots. I've sailed mine in about 10-15 knot winds with bigger gusts and I was barely able to keep the boat upright in the gusts... I am planning to get a radial rig soon. That's what I would suggest if you want to sail in bigger winds. Save you're money. Buy a radial.

Being 18 and at 6'-1" and at 150lbs it can be a huge challenge to keep a standard rig somewhat flat and competitive (some cases just keeping up with the pack) in winds 15+ knots, even in heavy/light winds its tough because the standard was designed for a heavier person and even in light winds, a lighter weight doesn't always mean a clear advantage.

it does if your good

Not exactly, when you start to talk about wether your "good" will mean you will win is where you start entering the grey area of it. It usually gives advantage but even when your good there is always going to be people who are "better" and even lighter weight can't help you in all situations.

Not exactly, when you start to talk about wether your "good" will mean you will win is where you start entering the grey area of it. It usually gives advantage but even when your good there is always going to be people who are "better" and even lighter weight can't help you in all situations.
Fair enough, but if your good and light, then your going to destroy, and there isn't always going to be better people

Back